• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

long arm lower, short arm upper

flexj

NAXJA Forum User
Any one ever try this? I currently have Rusty's la kit and am swapping in a hp44. I am toying with the idea of keeping the long lowers and using his uppers in the stock locations. I guess I'll hook it up and flex it with the jack and see what happens.

Also, anyone ever mount their front shocks directly to the lca? Don't the older Broncos do that?

Thanks.

Hamy.

flexj said:
Any one ever try this? I currently have Rusty's la kit and am swapping in a hp44. I am toying with the idea of keeping the long lowers and using his uppers in the stock locations. I guess I'll hook it up and flex it with the jack and see what happens.

Also, anyone ever mount their front shocks directly to the lca? Don't the older Broncos do that?

Thanks.

Hamy.

Are you talking about relocating the mounting point for the lowers, but not the uppers? That won't work. The short arm kit may not work that great for rock crawling, but the geometry is correct. As far as mouning the shocks to the lowers... that's fine. I ran mine like that for a while.
Billy

My brother ran a kit with long lowers and short uppers on his TJ for over a year off-road and daily driving, no problems whatsoever. I realize it screws up castor? as the suspension cycles, but is it enough to mess anything up? Anybody running this combo that can chime in? I'm already familiar with the theory behind it, but I'd like to hear from more people who have actually run it, whether or not they've had problems. I'm strongly considering leaving my uppers in the stock location and fabbing up some mid-length lower arms.

A friend of mine did that exact same thing with his cherokee and after a couple of months he snapped the right side upper at the frame mount (tore the mount off the body). The only way I can see the tj not breaking is:
1.) He has a actual frame
2.) He doesn't do any rock crawling

But that's JMO!

JCSXJ said:
A friend of mine did that exact same thing with his cherokee and after a couple of months he snapped the right side upper at the frame mount (tore the mount off the body). The only way I can see the tj not breaking is:
1.) He has a actual frame
2.) He doesn't do any rock crawling

But that's JMO!

If the mounts and hardware were actually strong enough, then maybe it would just stop the axle from drooping, but it would have to be some friggin' strong mounts!
Billy

just to stir things up a bit has anyone looked at the full traction TJ longarm kit?? They use longer lowers and shorter uppers. Heres a picture of the kit...
FTS7506.jpg

FTLAflex.jpg

They don't look that much different in the pictures but i have seen it on two different tj's and there is a good difference in length. It seems to work pretty flawlessly but i haven't really seen it other than on a ramp.

More importantly look at that "foot" long trackbar bracket!

Back