• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Windshield Removal

HossHoffer

NAXJA Forum User
Aaargh, I finally found a decent windshield at the pull-n-save and cracked it trying to get it out. I've tried two or three different tools but eventually they crack the windshield as I try to undercut the sealant. I've seen them taken out but don't know the secret of how its done. I realize that a new one isn't very expensive but now it's a pride issue as I can't let a windshield get the best of me!:D Besides I have to eventually get one for my daughters car and I need the practice,

The traditional do-it-yourself "tool" is a length of piano wire. However, Matthew Currie and I succeeded in getting one out of his parts XJ last year. Took a LOOOOOONG time to do it without cracking the glass. My recollection is that we took a pair of hacksaw blades and ground the edges to sharpen them, then used those to cut the sealant bead all the way around. Top and sides weren't too bad, but the bottom edge was a first-class B***H.

I think with two of us working we probably spent at least an hour at it. Do not try to hurry.

the pros use a heated knife that just cuts into the bead... literally like a hot knife through butter.

I've done the piano wire thing and it does work, and it works well. it's easier if the cowl panel and headliner are removed. just take your time and DO NOT try to do it alone. you can actually get one out pretty quickly with two people.

napa sells the "piano wire" and that stuff is tough (got goin on the top of the windshield and cut into the roof sheetmetal about an inch with this stuff :eek: )

for sealing, I had EXCELLENT results with "butyl rubber tape" (also got it from napa) the windshield NEVER leaked again ;)

Thanks

Hey, thanks guys. I knew there had to be a better way. I'll look for the piano wire at NAPA and try it again.

By no means am I made of money, but wouldnt it be alot less stressfull just to buy a new windshield.

I paid cash for a windshield installed in my driveway in about 20 minutes last year. It was no more than $140.

I couldnt imagine trying to pull out a windshield out of a wreck and then try to drive it home without hitting a bump.

Maybe its just me but I never heard of saving windshield glass.

You know, the old channel style windshield gaskets were so much easier to deal with! I've gots to pull mine some time soon (rust at the lower corners), I don't mind breaking mine though, it's chipped a bit in the middle. I heard of a good cheap place here in Southern California to get new glass though.

I know someone who will do a professional install of a new windshield for me for about 125$....that a good price? He does dealer installs for a living...but said he would do mine without a warranty though.

Back