• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Reverse Leaf Springs ????

BornAgainXJer

NAXJA Forum User
I am wondering if anyone had ever flipped there leafs around so that the bigger eye is in the back and the smaller in the front. I have been trying to get my rear to flex better and so far I have painted the leafs with graphite paint and lined them with "poor mans teflon" (UHMW Polyethylene). Which definately helped a lot. I also have a pair of the Rockkrawler Krawler shackles. When flexing I can't get the shackles to fully open something is binding and it doesn't seem to be the shackles them self. The front section of the leaf "fans" open nicely but the back doesn't at all. They r brand new leafs but I would have expected to at least have then droop enough to open up in the back. So anyways I was thinking that reversing them would some how make it better or maybe moving the pin back a couple of inches. I am wondering what doing something like this would do for the ride quality and such not.

Never tried it or heard anyone talking about it until now. If something is binding, are you sure you have ruled out everything else? Like shocks or your driveshaft not allowing droop? Heck, I don't know. These are stabs in the complete darkness, but at least it'll serve to keep the thread towards the top.

-Rich

I've heard of someone doing it, but their purpose was to increase the wheelbase by 2". The center pin hole in the leaf springs isn't centered, and the front "half" of the springs are longer than the back "half" . . . so, when you reverse them, it will extend the wheelbase and require a new rear driveshaft and (if I remember correctly) relocating the gas tank so that the new position of the rear axle doesn't hit it. Mind you, all this is second hand info - so I could be in error.

I've also read that the way to avoid the problem you are having is to get extended shackles, so that the shackles will avoid hitting the pocket that the shackles reside in. This will, of course, cause a small increase in the rear ride height and may negatively affect the angle of the output of the tcase compared to the angle of the differential.

red87cherokee said:
I've heard of someone doing it, but their purpose was to increase the wheelbase by 2". The center pin hole in the leaf springs isn't centered, and the front "half" of the springs are longer than the back "half" . . . so, when you reverse them, it will extend the wheelbase and require a new rear driveshaft and (if I remember correctly) relocating the gas tank so that the new position of the rear axle doesn't hit it. Mind you, all this is second hand info - so I could be in error..

Actually the front "half of the spring is the shorter side not the back half. The back half is the long side. I took my shocks and driveshaft off and flexed it nothing changed. My shocks r have 12 inches of travel and I have only used half the drop so far. So I think it's the springs them self. I mean the springs r brand new. How long till they loosen up, or will that not make that big of a difference?

Last edited:
If you flip the springs your wheels will not fit the wheel wells.

The trailing end of the springs doesn't open up as much as the front because it's longer, and because it doesn't NEED to open up as much as the front. It's an asymmetrical spring. If you need more droop, you need softer, more flexible springs. Reversing the ones you have won't solve anything, it'll just create lots of new problems.

BornAgainXJer said:
Actually the front half of the spring is the shorter side not the back half. The back half is the long side.
Sorry, that's what I meant to say. Oops. :doh:

That's the only way the rest of what I said would make any sense, isn't it?

red87cherokee said:
Sorry, that's what I meant to say. Oops. :doh:

That's the only way the rest of what I said would make any sense, isn't it?

didn't even catch that, i guess i knew what you were talking about anyway... bornagainxjer, how old are those springs? my RE springs were extremely stiff when i first got them

shimmy said:
didn't even catch that, i guess i knew what you were talking about anyway... bornagainxjer, how old are those springs? my RE springs were extremely stiff when i first got them
The springs r brand new maybe 5 miles of test driving on them. I am running 6" of total lift. 3.5" leaf, 1.5" Krawler shackle and 1" block. How r yours working for you?

Another question I have is I thought that the center bolt in the leafs has been moved forward from stock is this true or not? My tire is definately closer to the front of the fender then the back. I called rubicon and they said it's the same but they guy I talked to didn't really seem so sure.

Eagle said:
If you flip the springs your wheels will not fit the wheel wells.

The trailing end of the springs doesn't open up as much as the front because it's longer, and because it doesn't NEED to open up as much as the front. It's an asymmetrical spring. If you need more droop, you need softer, more flexible springs. Reversing the ones you have won't solve anything, it'll just create lots of new problems.
So what do you think about moving the center bolt back a couple of inches? I am not worried about the fender being in the way...I have a sawzall. If the front of the spring was longer it seems like it would flex more. right now the front of the spring seems to be maxed out. Oh and they r 3.5" extreme duty RE.

I have the RE 4.5" leaf pack. My impression is that it is too short to get a lot of droop. Mine stuff fine but only droop to the to the extent of the arc and length of the spring. I'm not complaining, since I feel my XJ performs on the trails just fine.

I like that your trying to make it as good as it can be, but without a longer leaf pack I think your limited to what your getting now.

As far as reversing, fenders are one thing to clear. Don't forget about the gas tank.

DSCF0010.JPG

ChuckD said:
I have the RE 4.5" leaf pack. My impression is that it is too short to get a lot of droop. Mine stuff fine but only droop to the to the extent of the arc and length of the spring. I'm not complaining, since I feel my XJ performs on the trails just fine.

I like that your trying to make it as good as it can be, but without a longer leaf pack I think your limited to what your getting now.

As far as reversing, fenders are one thing to clear. Don't forget about the gas tank.

DSCF0010.JPG
Yeah, but I have those krawler shackles so there for I should be able to have it droop more but doens't seem to be all that great. Do you have a picture with it flexed from a few feet away?

I am running 33's. Yeah, I was starting to think the same thing myself. I am going to seriously consider revolvers instead. Do you have a picture of yours not flexed at all? How do you get the pictures to show up? I can't get mine to show up.

Last edited:
Your Xj still looks kinda pretty, how much wheeling have you done with it. Don't take that the wrong way, but just going for flex is overated. Many have tried the scisor shackles for quite awhile now. Almost all of them go back to a traditional shackle. One they find the traction is not under weight and don't really do much for them and other have had issue with them unloading when braking or decents.

The ones who have really make there leaves flex make sure there front suspension is tuned properly and they work on getting longer leaf packs, like Chevy's.

As I mention before, I'm quite happy with the performance I get, even with that much rear droop. If I do anything it would just be like what you did with the paint and liners.

BTW what source did you use for the paint and liners.

Well first of all look at my name. I was kinda hellbent on wheeling after purchasing my first lift from RK. There stuff kept breaking when I was just driving under normal conditions. I broke 3 control arms just driving one track bar pulling out of my driveway. I was so sick of breaking stuff I just stopped going the jeep has been parked for like a year and a half and now I have decided to give it another go. Since I have bought that kit I have learned a lot and decided to try and fab things before buying them as I have had negative experiences with the supposed experts stuff. Although i must say they did replace my entire LA setup and track bar to their new style for free. Yeah it's not all that dented up yet but there is some if you look at the pass. side rocker :laugh3:. This vehicles is my DD also even though it's been parked. As far as my rear suspension goes I just want to match it up a bit better with the front. The front droops like mad. I even downsized shock travel because I thought it was to much. I personally haven't had problems with krawler shackles other then not extending fully. I was talking to a kid at EJS with the same kit and his rear flexed very well and the only thing he had I didn't at the time was bilsteins.

Oh and this picture is funny

DW.jpg

Last edited:
Back