• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rhino lining bottom half of jeep, will it work on plastic?

HEX-J

NAXJA Forum User
Just wondering if theres anything I can use to make it adhere better to the bumper ends and to Bushwacker flares? Has anyone tried it on plastic before? Thanks in advance.

From what ive read, as long as you got a nice clean rough surface, it will stick to anything.

If you are actually using Rhino...ask the guys that do the application. If you are using another product and calling it Rhino, read the can. I can tell you that Durabak will stick to anything that is clean and dry (that leaves out my hootus).

Rev

Just in case, Autozone and other parts stores sell a plastic adhesion promoter in a spray can that you use under regular paints and it will definately work under the liner. Otherwise just wipe the plastic down with some acetone or MEK and it will soften the surface and make it stick.

My concern would be if the liner would be flexible enough for the flares.As you know flares are very flexible, if the liner can't flex at the same rate it will crack.I work in paint and body and know if you paint a flexible part and don't put in a flex additive it will crack easily which leads to peeling. This is something I check out first.

Thanks for the input guys, I guess I shouldn't have used the word Rhino, since I'll probably be using some off brand stuff. I wouldn't want to pay the local Rhino dealer to do it, would cost way too much. I've done a little painting and have used flex additives, just figured that since the liner seems to have a rubber base that it would flex. Maybe I can carry around a spray can and when it flakes off just do a field repair? I really need some smiley things!!! Oh, and I'll make sure not to get any on any hootus!!! Thanks for the input.

i used hurculiner around the base of my jeep but not on any plastic. the only input i can offer is it is pretty flexible.

I sprayed Dupli-Color bedliner onto my 88 XJ OEM flares, bumpers, lower doors/rockers... It's held up pretty well so far (3 or 4 months) but I did scuff some off last trail ride (was either a stump or a rock?)

I second the advice to make sure the surface is roughed up & cleaned well to promote adhesion.

I have Durabak on the bottom half of the doors and the flares. On my first trip out after I did this, I drug the side along a big tree, and was into it hard enough that the flares bent up pretty good while scraping bark off the tree. In the end, my flares had a bunch of bark dust and pitch on them, and were a little scuffed, but none of the Durabak peeled off.

Travis

Back