• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

doors off XJ

dork

NAXJA Forum User
i'm thinking of making my doors removable after i get a full roll cage....

questions.. my Heep is a 93 XJ, i heard that the pins on the driver side door are pressed in top to bottom.. but the passenger ones are pressed in from the bottom up?!?

is this true?! they look the same on both sides? this info would really help me out!! thanks! :thumbup: :D

Take a close look at them and you'll see the little lip on the top on the driver's side, and on the bottom on the passenger side.

yea i just went out and checked it.. and yer right... i took my doors off a couple of times... but i just removed the torx bolts and did it like that hahaa

here's what i heard... to cut the bottom of the hinge off and then slip them out like a TJ door when you want them off.... but i dunno what to do on the passenger side!

there's a link here :thumbup:

any ideas for the passenger side would help a lot! thanks!

There's a lot of information if you search for removeable doors, but in summary, there are 2 popular ways of doing this that I've read about:

1. Cut the lower ears off and weld the pins to the top ears pointing down (You have to drill out the top ear on the passenger side or something to reverse the pin direction.

2. Leave both ears in place, and use 1/4" (IIRC) bolts to hold everything together. Remove the bolts and take the doors off whenever you want.

Cutting off the lower ears makes the doors easier to remove, although I personally have strength concerns with this method.

I haven't done any of this yet myself, so I'm just sharing what I've read (I'm planning on it soon and have thus been reading up on it).

i've done a search and all i can come up with is to weld the pins into the top part of the hinge so they don't move... i guess that's what i'll do unless i hear of something better in the mean time!

thanks for the info dude! :thumbup:

dont even have to do that. just flip the passenger side around and drop it in, it wont go anywhere, at least it doesnt on mine

that's what i was hoping for.. i tried to get the pins out last year and replace them with a bolt that i could just pull out every time i want the doors off.... but the pins are pretty stuck in there.... i'll try to just cut the bottom ears off! thanks!

I just did this on my XJ earlier today. For the drivers side I am going to cut the bottom ears off, shave the pins down some (like the projectxj.com writeup) and bore out the body side of the hinge a little. For the passenger side I am going to toss the bottom ear and the pins and just replace them with similar sized bolts. Also decided to replace all 12 torx bolts with regular hex head bolts just in case i need to remove them again...those torx bolts were a pain to get out!

what size are the torx bolts? that sounds like a great idea!! those torx are a biotch!! GOOD IDEA with the drop in new bolts! i actually was going to do that but without cutting the bottom ear off... like punch the pins out and replace with bolts that were grinded down...

thanks for the info!
:cheers:

Are we talking about a 4 door or 2 door? I personally think the weight of the door on a 2 dr will be a bit much for a half-hinge kind of thing, but I could be wrong. I modified the front doors on my 4 dr by just punching out the pins, slightly enlarging the holes through the hinge, and using bolts to drop in place. I had to re-adjust the hinges so the bolt heads would clear the outer lip of the door, and the doors don't close as easily as before due to excess slop in the hinge. I also know that a 4 dr without it's front doors looks a little odd, but you can't beat the enhanced visibility! I did take the doors off another XJ, and cut 'em in half to drop in place for the trail. I did the half hinge thing on them and it works pretty slick, I just have to play with the adjustments and figure out a clean way to cap them off on top.

gump: i tired that way last year.. couldn't get the pins out... i drove around with no doors (just the torx bolts removed) for a couple of days.... it IS a 4 dr but the plan is to get all 4 off... looks wicked! have you seen the rusty's offroad XJ with all 4 doors off? it's awesome!

I personally wouldn't want to drive a 4-dr doorless without a full cage for very long. I would think with that unibody that there would be some major flex in all the wrong places.

mine is power window's and locks.. for the front, you can remove the kick pannels and there are clips there for speakers, windows, locks.. simply unclip them... i also have the 4 door. the wires for the rear window's and locks go straight into the door, so the pannel will have to be removed to get at the clips.... those wires can be cut and you can install clips for easy removal!

hope this helps! :canada:

A cherokee without doors are you guys nuts that it the stupidest thing I have ever heard of. Next thing you know you will be trying to make a frame for the unibody :looser:

With that being said I have had my doors off my XJ for a while now and I love it. As for the strength issues on the unibody, I have two spare XJ bodys waiting for their turn on the rocks, you can usually get the bodys for next to nothing.
DIG IT!

Blair Williams said:
I personally wouldn't want to drive a 4-dr doorless without a full cage for very long. I would think with that unibody that there would be some major flex in all the wrong places.

you are implying that the doors add to the strength of the unibody.

THEY DO NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All you have to do is study the hinge and striker design to realize that there is no rigidity being added here.

running doorless = taco'd xj is pure SPOBI.

Back