• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NO turnsignals

Tim88XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I currently have no turnsignals at all. They just stopped working. They used to blink slowly (ground related I was told) and even slower w/ all the lights on. Sometimes in the rain, one sometimes wouldn't even blink. Now, they don't work at all, not solid, nothing even lights up. The fuse is good, what else could it be? Short? I recently was doing some work on the Jeep by the main power distribution block, but is there a fuseable link that controls just the blinkers?

Everything else, seems to work, but the parking lights in the front (under the headlights) don't come on, all the rest work fine. Help, lately my Jeep has been an electrical nightmare. -Tim

Tim,

Start with the simple things, change the flasher and see if that does anything. I spent the extra money and purchased an electronic flasher. It will flash if you have 1 or 5 bulbs in the circuit.

Once you install that flasher you will determine if it was just the flasher and it will also show you what turn signals work - front/back/left or right.

You can get an electronic fasher at any parts store, they run less than $10 and give you a steady flash. The one downside is you do not receive a warning when one bulb is burned out. I check mine often enough that not a problem.

Martin

No, the thing is the dash lights nor the turn signals don't even light up. Not that they just don't flash. Could that becaused b/c of a bad bulb?

I have a bunch of spare flashers in my garage. On the jeep, (by the fuse box) which one is for the turn signals and which one is for the hazzards? -Tim

Flasher

The flasher can do exactly what you described. The resistance becomes too high for the flasher to work at all. Start by changing the flaher as it is the least expensive and easiest to do

Well I went out to try swapping flashers, and remembered that my flasher is new, and also tried the emergency flashers. They work on seperate circuits right? and neither my turn signals or emergency flashers work. -Tim

The ground thing was a good tip. I had the problem of blinkers (one in particular) not lighting up. I thought it was the bulb or the flasher and replaced both. It did not solve the problem. That side would often work with the emerg. swtich on but not the turn signal. It was the ground connection in the light socket that holds the bulb in the turn signal housing. It was rusted through. I drilled a hole in it and made a good ground connection. Everything works now. I keep meaning to get new light sockets all around but haven't done it yet. Try new light sockets-they are prob. cheap. The only thing is all your light sockets would not go bad at once. When you switch on a turn signal, the indicator on your dash doesn't even light up?
If this is the case it may be that the turn signal switch on the stalk is bad. You will need an electr. tester and a wiring diagram to check it out.

Does your indicator light on the dash stay on when you try using the turn signals? Start checking bulbs. The sockets can get old and crusty and they will not work. Just replaced two sockets yesterday and now have both brake lights and all turn signals. HTH

No, the dash light doesn't come on at all, the lights under the headlight also don't come on with the parking lights, but all the reast of hte parking lights work fine.

It is a short somewhere I guess. As soon as I get some money I might have to take it to the dealer b/c I have another short also that is draining the battery. -Tim

after reading through the CD FSM I have for my 88, i think it is mostlikely the turn signal switch. Does this sound reasonable to you all? And how do I replace this part? Let me know, Tim

Tim,

To change out the turn signal switch, you need to pull of the steering wheel. Then fish the wires through the steering column. The FSM should show the tools needed

Recently I had a customer come into my shop with an 86 XJ. His turn signals and emergency flashers didn't work, but they would work ok when the ignition switch was in the ACC position. I found a burned terminal in the switch. I replaced the switch and terminal and everything worked just fine. You may want to take a look at this as it is a common condition in older XJs.

Check under the dash to make sure the wiring is hooked up. The turn signal connector is around 3" long and it should be attached to the steering column on the pass side.

In your original post you mentioned doing some work by the power distribution area. What did you do? Recheck your work. Double check all your fuse links. The 2 easiest ways to check your fuse links are by looking at them for any burns or signs of overheating, and by pulling on them to see if the wire is buned inside the casing (the link will feel like a rubber band when pulled if the wire is burned inside). Also, you said your fuse is good, but is there power getting to the fuse? Check it with a test light with the ingnition on.

It may be just a bad turn signal swith, but if it was me I would do a little more checking before buying any parts.

Hope I was some help, good luck.

Bryan

Bryan C. said:
Tim,

To change out the turn signal switch, you need to pull of the steering wheel. Then fish the wires through the steering column. The FSM should show the tools needed

Recently I had a customer come into my shop with an 86 XJ. His turn signals and emergency flashers didn't work, but they would work ok when the ignition switch was in the ACC position. I found a burned terminal in the switch. I replaced the switch and terminal and everything worked just fine. You may want to take a look at this as it is a common condition in older XJs.

Check under the dash to make sure the wiring is hooked up. The turn signal connector is around 3" long and it should be attached to the steering column on the pass side.

In your original post you mentioned doing some work by the power distribution area. What did you do? Recheck your work. Double check all your fuse links. The 2 easiest ways to check your fuse links are by looking at them for any burns or signs of overheating, and by pulling on them to see if the wire is buned inside the casing (the link will feel like a rubber band when pulled if the wire is burned inside). Also, you said your fuse is good, but is there power getting to the fuse? Check it with a test light with the ingnition on.

It may be just a bad turn signal swith, but if it was me I would do a little more checking before buying any parts.

Hope I was some help, good luck.

Bryan

Used a testlight to test at the fuesbox, I am getting power at the fuseblock, and they don't work in the ACC position either.

I actually posted about this same problem not too long ago, you can search, but i dont' think any good info came out of it...they just mysteriously stopped working...we checked everything we coudl think of, and couldn't find anything...it's going to the jeep dealership for the first time ever this tuesday. If they charge an arm and a leg I will be pretty pissed, but woh well....need them if I expect to drive.

I posted on allpar.com forum as well. I got some good responses, but none of what they said helped me, however it did fix their problem.

http://www.allpar.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=33&t=14142&hl=blinkers&

Ahh I see someone else posted after my last...I'll have to check that out before it goes to the shop.

HTH a little. _nicko_

I have a similar problem with my 88 Laredo. When my headlights are on, the right arrow on the turn signal glows, and when the turn signal is switched on, it flashes slow. With my hazard flashers on, the front flashers actually alternate flashes, one then the other. I don't know what it could be, maybe any of you could help me out.

Mitch 88XJ:
I would say the problem you are having is with the ground in either the RF or RR turn signal circuit. Check the ground at the bulb sockets, I suspect the front socket is the culprit. Usually you need to replace the socket but you can get creative(see XJTripp's post in this thread).

Tim:
Well you said the fuse had power so that means the fuse links are probably good. As long as the underdash connector is plugged in securely, I would suspect the turn signal switch is bad. I am however still leary of your ignition switch as I have seen and heard about this part failing quite often. The terminals overheat and melt the switch and connector causing some weird electrical problems.

Good luck

Bryan

Today just on a whim, I bought a turn signal switch from the parts store, and hooked it up before even tearing apart the jeep. It solved the problem. For the past hour or so I have been working on replaceing it. I got it in the column, all the wires fished, and then I was buttoning everything back up when I broke that little pin that goes through the steering wheel for the horn or whatever. luckily I have a parts jeep, but still its going to be a pain in the ass to get it of the jeep, and I have to take mine back off, etc.

Anyway. The problem is solved. -Tim

I got the same deal in my 92 Laredo. No blinkers or hazards. got power at the fuse box. If it is the switch then it would have to be both switches. not likely to happen at the same time. I'm confused.

Back