• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1991 Xj

Joe R.

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Guys!! havent been here in a while... I am going to be purchasing a 1991 XJ from a friend down the street... The interior is mint and the rest of it is in very good condition... The story on this one is as follows: My friend bought it from one of his friends for the AX-15 tranny for his wrangler for $175... The tranny didnt bolt up as they were told by the dealer... So he bought a 1986 Commanchee... That tranny bolted up... well, he was going to junk the commanchee until he called me.. I towed it to my house and am going to be giving it to Eagle... So now they have this XJ that is sitting... It doesnt run... the kid that had it was having overheating problems. He was letting it idle in his driveway , thinking he solved the overheating problem... well, he fell asleep, and in the morning the engine was seized.. I was wondering what to expect when/if I rip the engine apart.... I am not even sure if the engine is coming with this XJ... My friend's cousin wants the engine... but yea, I just wanna know from anyone who has had expieirience with these engines overheating and the damage it does... I think it is a good deal.... $175 for the jeep with the tranny and no engine... only 116,000 on it too!! new clutch, and AX-15... this is getting to be a disease, I will now have 3 cherokees... Am I going to be the next Eagle? :D
~Joe~

It's a great deal.

There is a good possibility that the engine can be freed up. Pull the head, and pour a mix of lightweight oil (like sewing machine oil) and penetrating oil into the cylinder bores, and let it set for a few days. Then take a hardwood dowl, maybe about a 1" diameter, and use that to tap on the EDGE of each piston to try to break it free. Don't whack the center of the pistons because you might punch through the top -- on the edge you're over the wall so you can't punch through, and you'll transmit the impact directly to the sides, which is where you want it.

You didn't tell me it was an AX-15 -- I thought it was an AW-4. Heck, if I'd known I would have tried harder to scare up the dough :D

Yea, thats what i said... I was in awe when he said he wants $175... hehe I am thinking about throwing a new centerforce clutch in it just because the tranny is pulled away from the engine right now... I'll see... And, yes it is an AX-15... and no you cant have it... ;) I always wanted to drive a standard cherokee... Hell, maybe I will use it for the road at college, and use the 89 for offroad... that way my dad has a Cherokee for himself... works for me...
~Joe~

Penetrating oil

There is a product call Knock-er-loose that works wonders for loosening frozen pistons.

Back