• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

quick ? on sye

dellstopjeep

NAXJA Forum User
to install a sye would i have to get a different driveshaft to mate it, or can i use my original one somehow?
also i have heard of using a yj slip yoke..... how would that work,
just want some answers becasue i soon may be looking into one of these options as i do shimmy down the road at higher speeds.
thanks

You do need a new driveshaft. The SYE kit (Slip Yoke Eliminator) completely converts the slip yolk setup on your t-case output to a fixed output, so now you need a driveshaft that has a slip-yolk instead. The easiest way to do this is get a complete kit with the SYE conversion and matched driveshaft such as from Tom Woods. You will have to measure to determine the correct driveshaft length.

The YJ slip yolk will allow your stock driveshaft to pull out of the t-case farther without falling out, but will not do much to improve vibrations.

dellstopjeep said:
to install a sye would i have to get a different driveshaft to mate it, or can i use my original one somehow?
also i have heard of using a yj slip yoke..... how would that work,
just want some answers becasue i soon may be looking into one of these options as i do shimmy down the road at higher speeds.
thanks

The YJ slipyoke isn't much longer but alows more travel in the u-joint. I have read that some will grind down the OEM on to get the extra travel. Otherwise with an 89', a 1" drop and the YJ slip yoke may do it for you. If you need a longer shaft, find an XJ with a MT, they are longer.

Back