• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shock bushing shim, can I live without it?

XJ91

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in the process of using my rear swaybar mounts as BPE's for the rear shocks.

I have one shock that does not have a bushing shim, will this affect anything?

The bolts I'm using are a tad bigger than 1/2"Dia, so they fit pretty good in the shock bushing.

XJ91 said:
I'm in the process of using my rear swaybar mounts as BPE's for the rear shocks.

I have one shock that does not have a bushing shim, will this affect anything?

The bolts I'm using are a tad bigger than 1/2"Dia, so they fit pretty good in the shock bushing.
Carefull you're rotating with this setup your shocks thus changing the way they travel and you might have some bind as a result... and... this is a mod tech Q not OEM.

I wasn't sure about OEM or Tech... But Thanx.....

OKay, I'll make myself clear.
The sway bar mounts will be going where the 2 upper bolts are for the shocks, thus eliminating the bar pin. The only thing rotating is the top of the shock 90*. Is this what you mean by bind?

I'm not relocating the bottom mount, that will still be off the axle.

XJ91 said:
The sway bar mounts will be going where the 2 upper bolts are for the shocks, thus eliminating the bar pin. The only thing rotating is the top of the shock 90*. Is this what you mean by bind?

Yup, look at the shock, look at the axle and think how it travels during the droop. When the axle droops it rotates around it's center (more or less) and your shock has to rotate a bit to adjust for the movement of where the shock mount has moved to. If you use the sway bar mounts it rotates the shock mounting position thus changing by 90 degrees how it rotates in relation to the lower mount thus the issue of binding comes up.

Kejtar said:
Yup, look at the shock, look at the axle and think how it travels during the droop. When the axle droops it rotates around it's center (more or less) and your shock has to rotate a bit to adjust for the movement of where the shock mount has moved to. If you use the sway bar mounts it rotates the shock mounting position thus changing by 90 degrees how it rotates in relation to the lower mount thus the issue of binding comes up.

So then this is not the wat to go?

Should I be looking at actual BPE's or a different method?

Someone posted a picture using 1" steel angle iron, with the holes drilled so the top of the shock sits in its original possition.

XJ91 said:
Someone posted a picture using 1" steel angle iron, with the holes drilled so the top of the shock sits in its original possition.
Sounds like something I had been running a while ago. It's a great setup cause it keeps everything in original position but if your shocks are gas you'll have a fun time installing them as it will be fighting you as it uncompresses.

I just got the shocks that were offered with the RE kit, they were DTS3000's. I'm not so mech. inclined, culdn't tell ya whether or not they are gas shocks. :doh:

This is the other way I had in mind... Posted by Jeepin Jason...

rs90006.jpg

XJ91 said:
I just got the shocks that were offered with the RE kit, they were DTS3000's. I'm not so mech. inclined, culdn't tell ya whether or not they are gas shocks. :doh:

This is the other way I had in mind... Posted by Jeepin Jason...

rs90006.jpg

Something like that, but I'd use thicker steel. Btw the issue is if the shocks are uncompressing on their own thus fighting you while you're trying to get the bolt through.

Kejtar said:
Something like that, but I'd use thicker steel. Btw the issue is if the shocks are uncompressing on their own thus fighting you while you're trying to get the bolt through.

Kejtar, ThanX for all your insight.

Right now they don't, they are only a few days old. I had a heck of a time pulling (streching) them out to mount them.

If you had to manually extend them, they are straight hydraulic shocks, not gas pressurized. The gas shocks extend all by themselves, and usually come with a nylon strap looped over the ends to keep them compressed in the box.

I agree with Kejtar -- using the sway bar mounts as bar pin eliminators changes the upper shock mount by 90 degrees and is not a wise idea.

Back