• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Console fix ideas

Ralph

NAXJA Member #149
I've got a 96 Sport. The lid/arm rest to the console broke. What broke are the mounting studs for the hinge on the lid. I checked with the dealer and the cost of a new one is around $80. (gulp) I took the lid apart and checked out how easy it would be to repair. It looks like it could be tricky. I'm looking for different ideas on how to repair this thing. I've come up with an idea or two, but some of you guys come up with really creative stuff that would never occur to me.

Thanks

My fix would be to get another one from a junk yard, or check e-bay. I found a complete still in the box full console (with a cup holder!!) off e-bay for about half the dealer cost.

Installation is pretty easy. You woun't have to drill any holes!

Otherwise, hit the boneyards and find the best looking one you can and pull it!

when mine broke i just glued it back together with some gorilla glue, that glue worked great now i don't have any problems. the bottle of glue was like 8 bucks better then paying $80.
good luck.

I checked with the dealer and the cost of a new one is around $80.

Thanks[/QUOTE]
I took one off an 87 Jeep truck at a junk yard, fit my 90 Xj. The owner of the junk yard looked it over and gave it to me, free.

I used self tapping screws the size of the post that the hinge was srewed to. Works fine. Have fun finding a good one in the yards. Ebay is your best bet.

8700XJS

Find yourself a console lid and mounting bracket from an '87 XJ. They are metal, not the cheap POS plastic used in later years. I swapped them out in my '90, and it works great now!

Your current console lid wont work with the hinge, so make sure you snag that too.

Thanks 90Pioneer. That was the trigger to an idea for a good fix. I had an old P133 computer I was keeping for some reason. I cut a piece of the case and fitted it between the cushion and the base. I attached the hinge to this steel plate. Works like a champ. Thanks for the idea of using a metal base.

Back