• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

auto to manual

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
AW4 to AX15 conversion, brackets question

If I was to get an auto and wanted to convert it to manual how ready is the "body"? I recall reading something about someone having to fab some brackets for either the pedal or the master cylinder? Btw the swap would be going hopefully from a 98 to a 98.

Thanks
Remi

Last edited:
Does anyone have an auto and stick sitting in a driveway that they can compare?? I'm going to be looking at an XJ this Sat (auction) and I'd like to know how much extra work I got ahead of me if I do the auto to stick move (on top of everything it's 2wd... but I Got all my 4wd stuff so that shouldn't be a big deal)

Remi, the hole for the clutch master is there in the firewall with a plug/cover over it. You'd probably have to come up with all the brackets and drill the mounting holes yourself though.

Ary

P.S. I know the hole is there because that's where all my added wires are coming into the cab :D

I recently converted the other way. I went from manual to auto. You can pull the complete bracket/pedal assy from a donor vehicle and it will bolt up. I would recommend a Howes master cylinder instead of a stocker unless you are tight on $$$ and just use the one from your donor. I posted some info on it on another thread just a day or two ago, along with a picture.

old_man said:
I recently converted the other way. I went from manual to auto. You can pull the complete bracket/pedal assy from a donor vehicle and it will bolt up. I would recommend a Howes master cylinder instead of a stocker unless you are tight on $$$ and just use the one from your donor. I posted some info on it on another thread just a day or two ago, along with a picture.
I'll look for that thread although my search in the morning didn't bring up anything recent. Oh... and my donor is my other XJ which I had since new so I know all works and has everything in it :D

I did the swap to mine and it was very easy. I had to do NO custom bracketry, it all came from factory. The clutch petal and brake petal bolt in with only a couple of holes that need to be drilled for the master cylinder to be bolted to the fire wall. It really helps to have the two vehicles side by side.

AARON

MrShoeBoy said:
I did the swap to mine and it was very easy. I had to do NO custom bracketry, it all came from factory. The clutch petal and brake petal bolt in with only a couple of holes that need to be drilled for the master cylinder to be bolted to the fire wall. It really helps to have the two vehicles side by side.

AARON

How about the rest of the swap? How long did it take you? Did you use a new clutch or old one? (my old one has only about 5K miles on it).

Back