• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Limiting straps here I come.....

Safari Ary

NAXJA Forum User
absurd%20flex.jpg

After finding out just how flexy my front-end was this past weekend and ripping an RE SS brakeline in pieces in the process, I'm now going to invest in some limiting straps. My plan is to do a center strap(s) and see if that limits it enough on each side or if I will then need to do one on each corner as well. Does this sound like the right way of going about it? or should I just assume I'll need them in all three places and order them all at once? Thanks

Ary

Edit/PS: BTW, I'm hoping that between adding the limiting straps and disassembling/painting/greasing my rear leafs I'll gain some rear flex. As you can see it was definately lacking all weekend.

Yikes. Sorry to hear and see! I would assume (here we go) that one on each side would be sufficient. There isn't anything that an added one in the center would do that the ones on the sides would. Is there?

Yeah, that ass end looks firmly unflexed. The energy is going the path of least resistance, too. If the front end was limited, the rear might flex better.

-Rich

Colorado_XJ said:
There isn't anything that an added one in the center would do that the ones on the sides would. Is there?

-Rich

Yes there is, prevent unloading on hill-climbs/ledges which was another problem I encountered. I never really knew what people meant when they said long arms unload. Now I do!

Ary

What type of long arms do you have? I am also looking to add some straps to my XJ, I also unloaded my XJ and it shocked the hell out of me, (my coil fell out) Just looking for a good set for now.. Let me know if you get a pair, I would like to see how you attach them...

You'll need them on the corners as well, a center strap alone won't do much for droop at each wheel. On my XJ I set my outboard straps up to stop droop just before the coils unseated.

XTrmXJ said:
What type of long arms do you have? I am also looking to add some straps to my XJ, I also unloaded my XJ and it shocked the hell out of me, (my coil fell out) Just looking for a good set for now.. Let me know if you get a pair, I would like to see how you attach them...

I'm running Clayton's crossmember with RE TJ long arms and adjustable RE upper CAs. The combination has worked great so far.

Wes, thanks for the tip, I was actually looking at pictures of your limiting strap setup on the XJ last night. I'm pretty much gonna copy that setup since it seems to be the most straightforward method and I don't have time to fab a crossmember for a center strap at the moment.

BTW, I think my driver's front coil fell out about 15 times, no joking(it even rolled down the trail a few times). It got very aggravating to say the least. Thanks very much to my official coil re-installer, Dave, aka 35xj :D

Ary

I have some extra heavy duty ratcheting straps I was looking at using to fab somthing with (2.5 wide x 1/8th thick).. I can cut and make some brackets, bolt to the frame and bolt somewhere to the axle after I do some looking

I see that it said in this thread that long arms unload. Is that true, will a long arm unload more than standard mounted arms? In that case, than what are the real advantages and disadvantages of long arms, besides running taller lift?

Softer ride, you can keep the tires planted on the ground better, clear bigger obstacals prevents damage to the frame and drivetrain (frametwist)

Additionally the wheels travel in more of a vertical line as opposed to down and back when drooping. This allows you to run a longer wheelbase because the tires don't stuff as much forward as they do straight up. They are generally more comfortable as well. If you're running a pure trail rig, I believe that short arms can be setup effectively, as in Goatman's setup. However when you have on-road handling, braking, and ride to take into account, I don't regret going with long arms one bit.

Ary

Maybe Im mistaken but Im not seeing any shocks on your rig...

Fryphax said:

Im not seeing any either, good call .... No wonder you broke a SS Brake line.. I have extended long travel shocks and what not But I will still be making straps to keep stress off of the shocks and SS brake lines

Fryphax said:
Thats the other reason why your rear suspension isnt flexing The front is taking all of the movment away from the rear (nothing to stop the front and transfer movement to the rear suspension)

Oops, forgot to add that part. I have 14" travel Bilstein 5100s in the front. There isn't one pictured because I broke the mount the day before. The opposing rear shock is missing as well because the bolts broke in the unibody and I've been too lazy to remedy the situation. However, the problem still existed before the shock mount broke.

Additionally, I was using my shocks as my limiting straps for a long time, and after ruining one set of hydro's and one set of Bilstein 5100s(read $$$$$$$$) I decided I wasn't going to do that anymore.

Ary

Safari Ary said:
Oops, forgot to add that part. I have 14" travel Bilstein 5100s in the front. There isn't one pictured because I broke the mount the day before. The opposing rear shock is missing as well because the bolts broke in the unibody and I've been too lazy to remedy the situation. However, the problem still existed before the shock mount broke.

Additionally, I was using my shocks as my limiting straps for a long time, and after ruining one set of hydro's and one set of Bilstein 5100s(read $$$$$$$$) I decided I wasn't going to do that anymore.

Ary

That's a lot of shock travel for your lift. I run 10" travel 5100's set up for 4.5" of up travel and 5.5" down, and I can still drop the 7.5" RE coils 2" off the coil towers. No wonder you are spitting out coils.

I see a set of 12" travel 5100's in your future :D.

Nay

Nay said:
I see a set of 12" travel 5100's in your future :D.

Nay

Nah, I'll just shorten the limiting straps. I knew they'd be too long, but I needed shocks and I didn't know how long they'd need to be. The price was the same, and the compressed length isn't too long for my mount locations, so I figured I can always stop them short of their full travel, but it's hard to make them travel more than they already do ;)

Back