• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

surely someone can help

Well, it depends on what exactly you are working on. Axles are a good place to start. Also, if the suspension is mounted to the "frame" at a point, that area should be sturdy enough for a jackstand. I had the rear of an XJ off the ground for a couple months using 2 jackstands just forward of the front leaf spring mount. If you can jack it up at a point, that's a good spot for a stand. Not sure if this helps at all...

-Rich

Last edited:
yeah, PB Blaster and let it sit for a while. This is a much easier job if you have a southern XJ. Its really easy to break the top studs on the "bar pin" mounts when you are trying to get the bolts off, since they get rusty. Good luck and seriously let it sit for a while after dousing it with PB Blaster.

You can just jack up the axle and undo the shock bolts....then pull the lower end of the shock off (it will expand) and then the upper. Reverse the procedure. With some muscle, you can get the upper on first then compress it until it slips on the lower mount.

The shop manual says to jack up the entire vehicle, support the frame with stands, then jack up the axle just enough to release tension on the shocks.

Hope this helps.

-Rich

Your shocks are probably limiting your axle droop, so once you pop them loose the axle will fall. Makes it a hell of a lot easier to install the new ones with the axle already in the right spot.

-Rich

Colorado_XJ said:
Your shocks are probably limiting your axle droop, so once you pop them loose the axle will fall. Makes it a hell of a lot easier to install the new ones with the axle already in the right spot.

-Rich

I remove and reinstall my shocks with the vehicle on the ground.

Nebraska77 said:
you can do that? i imagine its just a bit harder eh?

No easier cause you don't have to fart around with a jack and stands.

Kejtar said:
I remove and reinstall my shocks with the vehicle on the ground.
YOUR XJ sits a foot higher off the ground than stock :pirate1:

Back