• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch going - what to replace it with?

JasonXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have noticed lately that my clutch is slipping when i try to park on any bit of a hill.

SO, the only brand name I have seen is centerforce. BUT I have also read that there is not much of a slippage zone on those. So, what else is there, or should I just throw in a crappy clutch, and just replace it anytime it goes and slip the crap out of it?

I know... I should just switch to an automatic. but since i get too bored with just two pedals to play with, I am sticking with a 5 speed NV3550.

Have you modifed your XJ? Your sig says it's a '99, but the '99 doesn't use the NV3550, it used the AX-15.

Nonetheless -- the stock OEM clutch on my '88 lasted 204,000 miles, and was finally replaced because the release bearing failed, not because the clutch wore out. On your '99 the flywheel is contoured, so the clutch plate and disc have to be contoured to match. I see no reason not to use OEM parts when replacing the clutch.

Something made me believe I had a NV in there back when i was a noob (not that I am still not after 2 years), but now that you mention it, I cannot think of why I thought that...

I have got about 55,000 miles, and the clutch is going.. but partially because of all the oil which has gotten alll over it from leaky oil pan, and partially because i slip it so much when wheeling.

I admit that OEM are the best, but you can't get OEM parts unless you know somewhere they are still building XJs that I can get parts from a plant. Mopar parts from the dealership are nowhere near the quailty they send to the plant. And after production is done, Mopar will re-source some of that stuff out to other companies.... Mopar probably does keep higher quality standards, but I cannot justify paying twice the price for their parts.

$315 Mopar - or $165 autozone lifetime warrantee

whatever you do get a stock flywheel! I had some problems when they resurfaced mine (or whatever the proper term is) and I know some people who had theirs replaced with aftermarket.

JasonXJ said:
I know... I should just switch to an automatic. but since i get too bored with just two pedals to play with, I am sticking with a 5 speed NV3550.

I almost missed it... You're nuts to even think about it! Stickshifts RULE (especially with deep gears).

[.... Mopar probably does keep higher quality standards, but I cannot justify paying twice the price for their parts.

$315 Mopar - or $165 autozone lifetime warrantee[/QUOTE]

Half the price, but with a lifetime warranty, only says so much. Not that a clutch replacement is major surgery, but it is a PITA...so you get another one free if it craps out, but you still have to replace it. Buy quality stuff the first time and be done with it. Also, look closely at the warranty...it will only cover material defect(s) in the part itself, and normal wear. If you ride/slip it, overheat it, and so on, that warranty is worthless. You have to return the parts for inspection, and they will deny the claim.
HTH,
Jeff

Of course, you realize that the main thing you need to do is work on your technique so that you don't slip it so much--whether wheelin' or on the street. If you're slipping your clutch it is probably time to downshift. Off-road you should probably be using low range more. Not only will that be better for your clutch, but it will also give you more and better control over your vehicle.

Good luck!

So, what is quality at this point? How is the centerforce for wheeling?

Also, how much of a pain can the clutch be with the right tools, I imagine an 8 hour day of fun or so. Autozone has not denied me on any returns I have asked for in the past, some of which were questionable.

I need someone to tell a horror story of a cheap clutch to stop me from buying cheap. Or a story of how a centerforce clutch got them up through a trail that would have been impossible otherwise.

And yeah, I need to learn to slip the gears less. and probably need a 4:1 TC.

Back