• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

POR 15 Hardnose gray or light gray?

I recommend using POR-15 on your rails, but remember that POR-15 is not UV stable. Use it as a primer/sealer, then overcoat it with some other paint. Maybe pick up a nice car type paint in the rattle can at CarQuest. Gunmetal grey is nice and has a metalic content that looks cool.

old_man said:
I recommend using POR-15 on your rails, but remember that POR-15 is not UV stable. Use it as a primer/sealer, then overcoat it with some other paint. Maybe pick up a nice car type paint in the rattle can at CarQuest. Gunmetal grey is nice and has a metalic content that looks cool.
POR 15 Hardnose is a topcoat and UV safe.

-Chris

Sorry, I've been using the regular POR-15 for years and didn't hear they released a different formula.

Its not a new formulation. Its a different product. It is called "Hardnose". Its not really POR, as you can't Paint Over Rust with it, it has to be sprayed over something, and not bare metal (needs a primer for that). I have some other Rust paint from East that I iwll be using as the under coat for the rusted parts. That is after I clean them up with naval jelly. The hardnose will be teh top coat, as teh curent paint I have on them has lost the battle with teh rocks they put on the roads here in the winter.

-Chris

Back