• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Windshield removal and instalation.....

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
Ok I need to remove the windshield (intact) from my parts XJ and put it in the Ghost. AFter I remove that windshield. How do I do it and keep it in one piece?

When you move it grasp it from top to bottom not side to side. if you lay it down lay it curve up / face down. suction cups work well if you have them, but usually, not too many of us do.

P.S. cover your hood with a blanket or something... and watch out for the verithane (SP?) it will stick to anything and is hard to get off...

I wrecked a perfectly good shirt that way once... :rattle:

I'd suggest you bite the bullet and just pay a roving glass guy to do it.

Matthew Currie and I spent several HOURS getting a windshield out of his parts heap a couple of years ago. Yes, we knew about the piano wire trick, which did not work. We finally custom ground a couple of hacksaw blades and used them as cutters.

In comparison, when I needed the windshield replaced in the MJ I bought, a rolling glass guy came, had the old window out in about 5 minutes, and the entire job done within 15 or 20 minutes, including writing up the bill. There is no substitute for having the right tools and knowing how to use them

BTW -- the price list for the u-pull junkyard I sometimes visit when near Philadelphia specifies that when you try to pull a windshield, if you break it you buy it anyway. Other u-pulls won't even allow customers to pull windshields -- that ought'a tell you something.

just have the bigfoot come back and fix what he broke.
check with local glass co. and see how much, or beer on the side.

Back