• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OK Correct me if I am wrong! Rear lift.

simonsxj

NAXJA Forum User
I like to fabricate and have looked at the rear of the XJ and am thinking that can lower the front and rear mounts by 4" and gain 4" of lift. Without having a spring with an increased spring rate hence less travel. Can this be done without putting to much stress on the unibody? Also it seems to me that a taller spring would increase the stress also. Just wondering if anyone has done this and can give me some heads up info. Thanks.

Simon

Why would you want to lower your ground clearance and put 4" hanging below your frame rails to get hung up on? If you lower the front mount 4" to lift the rig 4" you're ground clearance is going to essentially be the same. You can get 4" easily w/ shackles, leafs, blocks and still be just as flexy. The rear mount can be lowered without causing clearance issues but I suggest you leave the front one alone.

The front mount being lower is not a problem, I can slant the front of it. I just want to save the other methods for a later. Right now steel and fabricating is free and money isn't around. I am just trying to find out about the stresses. Thanks for the input though.

Simon

I think what he means is to extend the leaf spring mounts down 4". Building spring towers, so to speak. I think you would have a hard time getting a sturdy platform. You might get it to work if you sleaved the frame rails, giving yourself a stronger rail to use as a base to put a lot of gussetting.
Normal lift kits work pretty good. This seems like a difficult fix to a non-existing problem

Difficult NO. I can build it I just can't buy anything. I am sure no one has ever been there before :dunno: . Anyhow I think your sleeve idea is good. By using a softer spring than a lift spring I might not be putting a lot of stress to it. I will keep thinking on it.

simonsxj said:
Difficult NO. I can build it I just can't buy anything. I am sure no one has ever been there before :dunno: . Anyhow I think your sleeve idea is good. By using a softer spring than a lift spring I might not be putting a lot of stress to it. I will keep thinking on it.

I know you don't want to spend any money, but if your going to go through all that trouble, see if you can find a pair of chevy truck leaf packs. Longer than stock and more durable.

If you want to build it you could fab up your own extended boomerang shackles. I've seen it done with good results which will ad some lift blocks are very cheap or you could make your own of those as well. As far as the leafs go you don't need lift leafs, you could add a couple stock XJ leafs from the wrecking yard to your packs. A combination of those three things would give you as much lift as you want and pleanty of flex.

Back