• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tempature Gauge Hook Up?

ChuckD

NAXJA Forum User
I just upgraded from the idiot lights to some gauges. 93' 4.0 MT, anyway, I have all but one gauge working. I have the new tempature sender/sensor, and I think I found where I need to put it. Underneath the manifold next to the coolant engine plug. It fits right in there.

Now I can't find the wire to connect it with, can anyone tell me which wire loom yours comes from? I would be real surprised if I didn't have one, it looks like I have them for every other feature Jeep made for the XJ's.

TIA

Underneath the manifold? Are you sure?

On my 94 XJ (I'm assuming you mean an MJ,) the temp sensor for the gauges replaces the temp sender for the idiot lights. It's on the driver's side rear of the head, near where the ground strap connects. A deepwell socket works on it. And it hooks up with the same wiring.

ChiXJeff

It wouldn't - the differenced are internal. The ID10T light version is simply a temperature=activated switch (on/off only) while the gage version is a variable resistance, which will give a varying output to drive a gage. You can't really tell the difference unless you either know the part number or take it out and check it with a pot of water and a meter...

5-90

The temp. sensor on my '94 is on the thermostat housing on the front of the engine. If there's one on the rear of the head,I'll just use that one so the computer will still be getting it's signal to operate the FI correctly.

Georgia Mike said:
The temp. sensor on my '94 is on the thermostat housing on the front of the engine. If there's one on the rear of the head,I'll just use that one so the computer will still be getting it's signal to operate the FI correctly.

You have it backwards. The sender in the thermostat housing on the '94 is the one that sends data to the ECU, as well as controlling the aux fan. The sender at the back corner of the head sends data only to the temp gauge on the dashboard.

Ahhhh......so all I have to do is yank the sending unit from the head and install my gauge's sending unit in place of it and it'll be golden? And everything else will work as normal?

Georgia Mike said:
Ahhhh......so all I have to do is yank the sending unit from the head and install my gauge's sending unit in place of it and it'll be golden? And everything else will work as normal?

Tach wiring is plug-n-play. If you currently have idiot lights, the temp sender and the oil pressure sender are both on-off switches and have to be swapped out for variable-resistance units. That's it. Just that simple.

Eagle said:
Tach wiring is plug-n-play.
I need help adding an aftermarket tach. Is there a wire for it in the stock wires on the back of my gauges?

This is the closest thread to my issue... So the sensor on the front of the thermo housing is for computer data?? (on a 93) what was the one on the older xjs for?(on the radiator) (91)

Sensor in radiator = eFan

Sensor in thermostat housing (HO) = ECU/PCM

Sensor in driver's side engine block, under manifolds (Renix) = ECU/PCM

Sensor in rear of head, driver's side = gauge/idiot light (very late models moved to dual purpose sensor in thermostat housing)

Back