• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stabilizer shock removal

mtnranger

NAXJA Forum User
What kind of bolt is oem on the steering stabilizer tie rod end? I can't break it loose to change out stabilizer. It doesn't have much of a nut on the outside of the shock bolt where you can leave the bolt in the tie rod and just remove the nut on the shock side and slide the shock off? Anyone run into this problem. Put a whole lift on and can't get a simple shock off, go figure...

Also, where do you make adjust to straighten up the steering wheel? Its upside down now and 3/4 turn off. I tried the pitman arm trick but thats not it. Is it at the steering gear box?

Don't know what the pitman arm trick is but on the drag link close to the pitman arm there is a sleeve held together with two clamps. Loosen the nuts on the clamps and turn the sleeve. One end is right hand thread, the other left hand thread so when you turn the sleeve it makes the drag link either longer or shorter. It helps alot to have a helper to tell you when the wheel is straight.

you need to use a two jaw gear puller. You can get one at any auto parts store for 15-20 bucks. the only trick is that if it was as frozen as mine was (PB Blaster all over the place and still won't budge) once you start to put pressure on that bolt, its likely to come out violently.

I had the same problem. Go get a pitman arm puller. Looks like a metal "U" with a bolt through the center. I had a giant cheater bar on a socket and still couldn't get it off. Finally drove down to a tire store and one of the mechanics came out to look at it. He got the pitman arm puller and an impact wrench and it popped right off. I drove back home with it disconnected. Bought him a case of beer for his trouble.

cito57 said:
I had the same problem. Go get a pitman arm puller. Looks like a metal "U" with a bolt through the center. I had a giant cheater bar on a socket and still couldn't get it off. Finally drove down to a tire store and one of the mechanics came out to look at it. He got the pitman arm puller and an impact wrench and it popped right off. I drove back home with it disconnected. Bought him a case of beer for his trouble.

Now that's called tipping! :cheers:

I used a three-jaw bearing puller to get mine off. Seems everyone has the same problem with it. When I put on the new one that came with the new stabilizer, I cleaned the rust off it and then used a tad of grease to keep it from happening again.

Sometimes they go out quick. Especially when you off road a lot.

Hope all the advice everyone give helps you.

Thats the problem, I didn't realize the bolt was supposed to be removed with the shock since my new one (OME) didn't come with a new one. I was trying to get the shock off and leave the bolt in.

Back