• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Worried about lifting

xjjeepthing

NAXJA Forum User
First off let me say this place is fun love all the post lots of helpfull people and info.I have a 2001 XJ my first Jeep love it only has 20,000 miles on her i drive it daily.I want to lift it but after reading about it im a little worried,im on a tight budget for this so i really cant afford to do a SYE and shaft right now, so ive been looking at 2" kits(my best bet i think to avoid vibes)
Seems they are all pretty much the same except for BDS which is offering a 2" with new frt coils ,rear full AAL's,u bolts and 4 shocks anybody have any experience with this also looking at RE bb with spacers and AAl's and shocks.
Can buy the BDS for 295.00
RE is 220.00
Any info is helpfull

That writeup was done on the lift that I put on my buddy's jeep, and he doesn't wheel. I just did the same thing to another friends jeep this past week who is going to Camp Jeep, so he will be doing some wheel, so I'll know the effects of wheeling on this setup when he gets back.

I started out the exact same way...sticking to 2" of lift (OME) to avoid any other issues. Didn't work out that way :D.

Unfortunately, the 97+ XJ's (and some 96's) have the redesigned transfer case output shaft that is very prone to vibes with any lift. A lot of factory XJ's that simply had the lower pinion on the 8.25 rear axle had vibes, and Up Country (1/2" lift) was especially prone to this issue straight from the factory (Chrylser put out a TSB to drop the transfer case 1" along with a driveshaft with a vibration dampener). I had problems with my 2" OME lift, both vibes and binding, and utimately had to go with the SYE, which then freed me up to add some more lift.

So...you may want to save up for the SYE and just do it right. Then you can focus on some 3" lifts with 31" tires that will give you a nice bit of lift while keeping excellent daily driver characteristics. You may be ok with 2" of lift, but nobody can tell you in advance. Spend your money with this in mind.

Nay

Back