• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

quick aal question

clay

NAXJA Forum User
The instructions that came with my RE 3.5" lift say that I need to remove the entire rear leaf pack in order to install the aal. However, I have noticed that many on this site have left the main leaf in place and simply added the aal after expanding the rest of the pack. My question is, is there any problems with installing it this way? Will I need to loosen the shackle and main eye bolts in order to get the proper stance? Any help from a more experience XJer would be appreciated.

clay

clay said:
The instructions that came with my RE 3.5" lift say that I need to remove the entire rear leaf pack in order to install the aal. However, I have noticed that many on this site have left the main leaf in place and simply added the aal after expanding the rest of the pack. My question is, is there any problems with installing it this way? Will I need to loosen the shackle and main eye bolts in order to get the proper stance? Any help from a more experience XJer would be appreciated.clay

I put an AAL in with the main leaf in place... it seemed easier to do it that way than to remove the whole leafpack...
(I have big C-clamps to compress the leafs to reinstall the centerpins)

Yes, that is why I asked. It does seem a lot easier. Did you have to mess with the main leaf bolts at all or just add the new leaf. It seems like adding the new leaf would change the relationship (geometery) of the leaf pack with respect to the frame but I could be out-to-lunch on this.

If you mean the big bolts at the frame & shackle ends, no. They should allow the spring to pivot & compensate.

I replaced the center bolts, since the ones that were in there weren't long enough.

You raise an interesting point. In theory, a significant lift by AAL would make the main leaf want to sit with the eyes at a slightly different angle to the frame and shackle. That having been said, I've never worried about that and I don't know of anyone who has ever removed the entire pack to do an AAL, or anyone who has bothered to loosen the shackle bolts and front eye bolt to let the new lift "settle in."

Because of the possibility of busting the weld nut loose inside the frame, I think I'd not do the front bolt. If you can soak the shackle bolts with PB Blaster and get them loose, it can't hurt to loosen them up when you do the AAL install. I don't think it's necessary, though.

Back