• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cruise not working?

lankchevy

NAXJA Forum User
okay the cruise in my cherokee doesnt work, i got it about 2 months ago and it didnt work when i bought it. its not realy an absolute nessicity that i have to have, but it sure would be nice to get it working. could it be something as dumb as a fuse? i checked the fusebox and there is no fuse labeled for it. and if it was fused with something else then whatever it was fused with wouldnt work either, and to my knowledge everthing else is working fine. is it fairly common in these for the cruise to stop working? anyone got any ideas on how to fix it?

kolby

It would help to know what you have; there's no profile info either. What doesn't work? Does the 'Cruise' light come on but fail to hold speed? I'd think vacuum. Does the light not even come on? Probably the switch or intermediate wiring. Does cruise sometimes work but not hold speed? Vehicle Speed Sensor.

Tell us more.

sorry im retarded and forgot to say that its a 88 with 4.0 and aw4, np231(dont think that would make a diff)

but anyway, i didnt even know there was a light, would it be in the little cluster that my 4x4 and low wiper fluild, and other lights are? ive never noticed the light come on when i try but come to think of it i dont think i ever looked and i never tryed at night as far as i can remember

there isnt a light for the 88. it is probably the switch, but first i would check the 2 wires on the brake light switch. actually there are 4 wires on the brake light switch, 2 are for the cruise. sometimes they break at the connector. if this is the case, just cut the connector off and replace it with 2 female spade connectors.

A 1988 XJ will use a GM-supplied steering column. These columns have the cruise switch on the end of the turn signal stalk, and fine wires go through the steering column, and out the stalk to the switch. These fine wires tend to break inside their jacket. They are almost impossible to repair, and replacement stalk/switches can be had at most auto parts stores in the "HELP" section.

Check it out.

So what would be wrong with my 01? The light comes on, but I can't get it to set to the speed I want.

Thanks!
:)

Phunk - will it hold any speed? How's the rest of your vacuum system looking? Any problems with the HVAC?

How fast are you talking about, by the way? 35mph minimum...

Last edited:
Yucca-Man said:
Phunk - will it hold any speed? How's the rest of your vacuum system looking? Any problems with the HVAC?

How fast are you talking about, by the way? 35mph minimum...

I only tried it at about 60-75mph. I'll take a look tonight, after school. I just noticed it a few weeks ago, and haven't really messed with it since.

My vote is on the stalk switch. Had mine replaced twice. As said before, the little wires bind and break.

Could also be vacuum. Does your A/C work, or do you get a blast through the dfrost instead?

Back