• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yet another Borla header question (I did search first)

DharmaDog

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98 Classic and am looking to replace the exhaust manifold. I am leaning towards Borla for a few reasons, but mainly because it includes the new downpipe. Summit only lists parts up to 96. Truck Performance and Borla list the same part to 97. Will this part fit on a 98? I would think so, but I wanted to check first.

Secondly, where should I order it from? Summit has it for ~$450. Truck Performance is ~$500. Anyplace else wth a lower price?

Last edited:
OK scratch that. Just found the Banks stainless steel with downpipe for ~$430. Which way would you go with this?

I have seen them cheaper but with the cost of steel up as much as it is. The cost of the headers has gone up 80-100 bucks this summer so if it was me I would wait until the cost goes back down. I have seen Borla Headers for 389, now I'm seeing them for 480-511. If you need it now get it now, but I would wait for the cost to go down and save the coin for something else. Just a thought. Juice

i would double check that Banks quote too. i was looking at headers for a while, but changed my mind because of the recent inflation of steel prices. anyway, i don't think banks offers the down tube for cherokees..unless its a relatively new product.

Yeah, I was wondering what the deal was with the increased prices across the board. I was assured on the phone that it does have the downpipe. I reminded him that this is not a Wrangler and that it's for a 98 Cherokee. I've heard mixed messages myself on whether a downpipe exists from Banks. I haven't heard anyone with a Cherokee definitively confirm that there is or is not, but apparently there is one for the Wrangler.

I contacted Gale Banks Engineering and asked about the elusive downpipe- whether there was one for the XJ, or if he thought I could make the TJ one fit. Here is the response I got:

"Thank you for your recent inquiry about Banks product for your 1993 Jeep. A power system for applications such as yours is presently either not in our product line or is currently under development. As per our conversation I'll keep your request on file and call you if and when such an application is available."

Whatever. Maybe if we keep bugging them, they'll make one....

I got the Borla from Rustys, Bought the high flow cat and Flow master 50 series all at the same time
Total package was in the high 5's 1 month ago
Love the rumble, mid range power much better, didn't notice any low range power difference
MPG went up 2 or so
JOhn

Ok, I also called Banks and was told that there is no downpipe available for any year XJ. The one they have is for early 90s Wranglers only.

So back to Borla.

When I contacted borla, they told me that there was no Downpipe...
Who sells the cheapest Borla unit out there.?
Doug Thorley Headers are NICE and decently priced... less than 400
and I can get a local muffler shop, that specializes in mandrel bends for Hi-Po exhaust systems. and I can get Stainless Steel piping for the downpipe.
They told me they could build it for fairly cheap and install it for around 130 bent and installed

Culinary_Hooligan said:
When I contacted borla, they told me that there was no Downpipe...
Who sells the cheapest Borla unit out there.?
Doug Thorley Headers are NICE and decently priced... less than 400
and I can get a local muffler shop, that specializes in mandrel bends for Hi-Po exhaust systems. and I can get Stainless Steel piping for the downpipe.
They told me they could build it for fairly cheap and install it for around 130 bent and installed

You'll have to call Rusty's
In the Borla box it came with a Down Pipe, his price wasn't bad either, took a week to get but thats good for Rusty
Cruzzin_XJ

I called Borla back when my manifold cracked and they said no header for the 99 classic I own. So I called Banks and bingo. No downtube, though, but that wasn't my concern. Banks was going to charge $430 or something like that. I told them I saw it at a dealer for $399. They matched it. $421 to my door. Still, I wish it had been polished so it at least looked like I spent the money.

Back