• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Post Lift Question

Jeep

NAXJA Forum User
This is one of those good news - bad news things. The good news is the RE 3.5" lift is on. The bad news is I have a bad vibration coming from the T case area (I think). I pull out into the alley and didn't even get up to 10 mph before this vibration starts. There is about 1.5" of new shinny yoke coming from the back of the T case that wasn't there before. So does this mean I need a slip yoke eliminator :confused1 ? If this is what I need - how difficult are they to install? And how much if any can I drive this without causing damage? Thanks for the help.

Michel

What I have been told is that any driveline vibration is bad.

Have you tried a t-case drop? It seems like that should be enough for a 3.5" lift. As for how hard it is to install an SYE - its not bad. There are a lot of threads on the subject.

-Brian

Jeep said:
This is one of those good news - bad news things. The good news is the RE 3.5" lift is on. The bad news is I have a bad vibration coming from the T case area (I think). I pull out into the alley and didn't even get up to 10 mph before this vibration starts. There is about 1.5" of new shinny yoke coming from the back of the T case that wasn't there before. So does this mean I need a slip yoke eliminator :confused1 ? If this is what I need - how difficult are they to install? And how much if any can I drive this without causing damage? Thanks for the help.

Michel

Jeep said:

Michel

What tcase do you have? Select or comand trac?

With your year, two things can fix you up rather cheaply.
1. Tcase drop, Gojeep has a low cost solution.

2. Extended Slip yoke, about $65

or

3. SYE, about $200-250 plus about $250 for a new Driveshaft. Get the HD model, either the JB or Advanced Adapters. Also are you planning on adding more to your lift, if you are, then just go for the SYE, if not fix it with 1&2.

ChuckD said:
What tcase do you have? Select or comand trac?

With your year, two things can fix you up rather cheaply.
1. Tcase drop, Gojeep has a low cost solution.

2. Extended Slip yoke, about $65

or

3. SYE, about $200-250 plus about $250 for a new Driveshaft. Get the HD model, either the JB or Advanced Adapters. Also are you planning on adding more to your lift, if you are, then just go for the SYE, if not fix it with 1&2.
This is true, assuming that he does not have the 242 (selec-trac) If he does, he's stuck with a hack'n'tap sye or a 231 swap. Another problem that i have heard mentioned is the front axle, being a low-pinion d-30 could be causing some of the vibes. I do not have ANY personal experience withn this stuff, but have been doing research because i plan to order my RE6130 (4.5") this week. So that i added to say that i don't know from personal interaction with a lift install, rather a collaboration of what I have found from doing research on this great site. SO getting back on topic, a hack'n'tap is $80 from RE, and their driveshaft is $275...

Jeep said:
Thanks fellow Jeepers :wave: . I have the 242 T case. Is that a bad thing?
Nope, it just limits you to the hack-n-tap SYE, which isn't a bad thing. You can order the driveshaft through anyplace, not just RE but it needs to bolt up to the flange they use. If I recall, Tom (old_man) had some info about the part numbers on his "Budget SYE" writeup from about two weeks ago.

JeepinAudiophile said:
This is true, assuming that he does not have the 242 (selec-trac) If he does, he's stuck with a hack'n'tap sye or a 231 swap. Another problem that i have heard mentioned is the front axle, being a low-pinion d-30 could be causing some of the vibes. I do not have ANY personal experience withn this stuff, but have been doing research because i plan to order my RE6130 (4.5") this week. So that i added to say that i don't know from personal interaction with a lift install, rather a collaboration of what I have found from doing research on this great site. SO getting back on topic, a hack'n'tap is $80 from RE, and their driveshaft is $275...

All early XJ's (84-98 maybe some 99) have HP D30's. It really doesn't make any difference. Also the $80 H&T is only for the later Tcases, unless you modify your elier Tcase with later parts.

The 242 is limited to just the H&T or the non HD SYE from Tom Woods. Otherwise the 231 vs 242 debate is a totally different subject.

If you were to get another tcase, 241 Roctrac, Flipped D300 or an Atlas are some of your choices.

99s have the HP D30 as well; it wasn't until '00 that they went with the LP D30 a la the TJ

More good news - the majority of the vibe is gone :thumbup: . I know I'm a dumb butt :doh: . But when I got the shims from 4 Wheel Parts the guy told me to install them with the thick end to the front. Boy, was that a mistake! So I turned them around yesterday and it made a huge differences. I know - I know, but what do you expect from a rookie???

Thanks for the help and I still want to get a CV drive shaft or something later to help with the angle.

That's 4 Wheel Parts for ya...glad you straightened it out okay. PICTURES!!!! :D

Back