• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

open trails around Camp Hale?

NeversummerCO

NAXJA Forum User
Finally got the jeep back on the road (thanks to Tom, Nay and JohnJohn for the advice/help :) ) and I'm trail leading some friends this weekend around the camp hale area. The smallest vehicle is a 3" lifted XJ. Before I call the ranger station does anyone know what's closed for sure? I'm going off the USFS map, and picking up a Wells book monday.

If all else fails I was thinking of heading outside the leadville area (<30 mi) and looking for something. Any other suggestions for trails welcome.

Dom

Holy Cross is definatley in the area and an XJ with 3" of lift will make it depending on size of tires and drivers skill. There is also McCalaster, Yoder Gulch, None Name, resolution, Pearl Creek, and many more and all of these I would say can be passed in a stock jeep. I would definately say they are all open

Also out of Leadville there is Birds eye whick is fun. Then Mosquito Pass, Mt Zion, East Tennessee, Slide lake, Magerman Pass, Weston Pass and more.

If you need any directions or need any more info feel free to contact me

Just got back from Camp Hale, it rained about 90% of the time so we only got in one good day of 4X. I ended up having to fix more peples rigs than anything. As soon as we started out some one broke something. I got to learn the components of an IFS (Nissan), and I am glad XJs don't have them. Too many little parts to bend and brake. I also taught everyone to check their battery water if the battery is dead. I was awaken one morning by a full size dodge trying to charge a little toyota battery for about 20 min. I asked if there was any water in the battery, the reply was "there is no water in it, its just dead. So I added in the H20 and vavoom, pistons pumping.

The one trail we went on was easy enough for a stocker and had a stunning view of several mountains, including Holy Cross. I think it was called Ranch Jeep Trail or something. The back side of the mountain is a little more challenging, especially in mud (USFS road 755), doable in a stocker with good tires and an experienced driver/spotter. There was a deliberatly placed tree blocking the road about 1/2 way up which some ATVs had gon around. I stopped there to be safe.

I plan on going back up in the area some time later this summer to do some other trails I found above tree line. Also might make a trip south of leadville. If anyone wants directions to camp hale/trails there let me know.

Dom

Back