• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trans question mabey wrong fluid

scoobyxj

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
i just changed the trans fluid in my 2000 4.0 and put atf+3 and a bottle of Lucas trans additive in it, and now after reading the manual closer it says to use dextron II. the 2.5 is supose to use the atf+3. :doh: i thought the auto's where the same in this year. should i have it flushed or just change it a few times to get the wrong fluid out of it.

yes i realize that now, but what im asking is how destructive will the atf+3 be? can i just change it a few times or should i pay to have it flushed.

thanks thats what i figured i would have to do ill set up an appointment first thing tomarrow. going to camp jeep wed hope to see you there.:thumbup:

i talked to three or four different garage's today and all of them said that it would be fine including the chrysler garage and the jeep dealership so ill just worry about it when i get back from camp jeep they also said that the filter is a 100,000 mile service item but only if you have a trans pump service done which removes all of the fluid

Cherokee91Red said:
I changed the fluid in mine recently and the shop didn't have Dextron II as stated in the manual. I put in Dextron III, is this basically the same stuff?

im not shure call the chrysler garage and ask i think they they sead somthing about it an it was on the order that it was ok but i would ask

If you don't flush it you can expect to be replacing your transmission soon. ATF+3 and Dexron are NOT compatible. Some people (stupidly) use ATF+3, however, if you're going to do that you need to completely flush it with ATF+3. If you changed the fluid yourself I'm guessing you just drained the pan, in which case you only drained half the fluid and the other have is still Dexron. Switching to ATF+3 is a bad idea, mixing the two is suicide for your transmission.

I know I'm not the only one and I'm not necessarily endorsing the idea but I've been running ATF+3 for a few years now in my 1993. I've never had a problem, shifts normal, runs great. Unless I wanna blame my daughter running it thru a fence and a tree to the tune of $20K (not counting the XJ damages) on it.

Sarge

Sarge said:
I know I'm not the only one and I'm not necessarily endorsing the idea but I've been running ATF+3 for a few years now in my 1993. I've never had a problem, shifts normal, runs great. Unless I wanna blame my daughter running it thru a fence and a tree to the tune of $20K (not counting the XJ damages) on it.

Sarge

Again, if you wanted to do that you would need to make sure there is nothing but ATF+3 in the tranny. (but why...it cost more and is the WRONG fluid!) It sounds like the original poster has half ATF+3 and half Dexron. His tranny will be dead very soon if he drives around like that, no doubt about it.

This trans fluid is a confusing topic...

When I got my 89 with aw4 tranny, the fluid was obviously well past prime. Not having a service manual or owners manual, I called the dealership where I got it and talked to the service MANAGER. He said that he owned one just like mine (he remembered it) and that the proper fluid is ATF+3 and that's what he puts in his. He said that was the latest Jeep recommendation or info too.

So, I flushed it via the cooler hose (3 qts past where it's obviously new fluid coming out) well and have had no problems... What can one expect who runs ATF+3, and why? Based on all the online reading I did, the recommendations tended to lean more towards this than dexron.

Also, since Dexron III/Mercon is all that's available, is that suitable, or would ATF+3 be better than that?

As far as this thread is concerned, Dexron II and III are the same. The AW4 transmission was designed to use Dexron. At that time, ATF+3 DIDN'T EXIST! It's a different fluid. The two types are not compatible. How could a transmission designed before the fluid possibly do well with it? If ATF+3 was designed as a Dexron replacement, ok, you have an arguement. But it wasn't! And it isn't! IT IS NOT BETTER IN ANY WAY!!! It's more expensive, and it's the WRONG fluid. There are absolutely NO advantages to using it. You might as well start using gear oil in your engine.

I would not leave the ATF+3 in there. The AW4 was designed to use Dexron, ALL the tech manuals say to use Dexron, and it isn't worth taking the chance of damaging the tranny. Shops that tell you it's okay to use ATF+3 aren't really Jeep shops, they are Mopar shops that have been told by DaimlerChrysler to sell and service Jeeps. They generally don't know much about Jeeps and they push the ATF+3 because that's what's used in the Chrysler trannies and they don't want to stock two types of joy juice.

Yes, Dexron III is the replacement for Dexron II.

ZmOz said:
If you don't flush it you can expect to be replacing your transmission soon. ATF+3 and Dexron are NOT compatible. Some people (stupidly) use ATF+3, however, if you're going to do that you need to completely flush it with ATF+3. If you changed the fluid yourself I'm guessing you just drained the pan, in which case you only drained half the fluid and the other have is still Dexron. Switching to ATF+3 is a bad idea, mixing the two is suicide for your transmission.
OK, I'm confused. I could've sworn I've read some posts before stating to use atf 3 in the trans. Mine is a 93 auto and was a little low, so I bought a quart of atf 3 and added it. I don't know what was in it before. I even asked the parts guy to look it up and it called for atf 3. So what fluid do I use? Is there a certain year they switched or what? I need to change mine anyway.

Mike Harris

Anyone have helpful hints as to flushing a tranny that also has the remote tranny cooler and pump setup? I ahve heard thaqt using atf causes too much slippage in the transmission and will cause you to take a hit in gas mileage. I had not previously heard that it would do damage, just that it was too slickery for the aw4- it needs a little more friction than the atf provides- in order to work properly.
heres a link to read up on... http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24728&highlight=amsoil

tireroastin93XJ said:
OK, I'm confused. I could've sworn I've read some posts before stating to use atf 3 in the trans. Mine is a 93 auto and was a little low, so I bought a quart of atf 3 and added it. I don't know what was in it before. I even asked the parts guy to look it up and it called for atf 3. So what fluid do I use? Is there a certain year they switched or what? I need to change mine anyway.

Mike Harris

You need to use DEXRON III . There are some people that use ATF+3, however stupid that may be, if you want to do that you must completely flush out your transmission with it. You can't just add a quart or even drain the pan and add it, because there will still be alot of Dextron left in the transmission. (it is impossible to drain it all out) If you mix the two, kiss your transmission good bye. Again, there is NO reason to use ATF+3. Dexron is BETTER, and CHEAPER.

ZmOz said:
You need to use DEXRON III . There are some people that use ATF+3, however stupid that may be, if you want to do that you must completely flush out your transmission with it. You can't just add a quart or even drain the pan and add it, because there will still be alot of Dextron left in the transmission. (it is impossible to drain it all out) If you mix the two, kiss your transmission good bye. Again, there is NO reason to use ATF+3. Dexron is BETTER, and CHEAPER.
Ok, guess I'll try to flush the trans just to be safe. Which is the pressure line and which is the return line on the trans?

Mike

ZmOz said:

How about offering some insight or personal experience to back this up? I haven't heard of any transmissions giving up to the ghost due to mixing transmission fluids yet. Sure, its not supposed to be done, but you're not supposed to mix synthetic and dino oil either, and I do it all the time with no ill effects.

Just seems to be that your getting all hot and bothered over something you have no clue about, thats all.

Back