• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tailpipe exit - rear or passenger right?

kevin s

NAXJA Forum User
92 XJ. Looking at the Dynomax super turbo muffler & tailpipe.
The catalog lists the 87-92 as passenger side exit and the 93-02 as rear exit. I thought they were all rear exit. I have had 4 XJs, and I honestly don't remember any side exit pipes. Maybe for the MJ?

There is a $30 difference in price, the side exit being cheaper, but...what is correct?

It seemed like one of those "du-oh" moments. Maybe the item description is talking about where the exhaust pipe exits the back of the muffler - left/center/right. The one that is on there now exits on the left (of the muffler, that is).

I had a Midas shop install one upside down once. Maybe they were "confused" too??

Just a comment, I do believe that an exhaust always exits on the opposite side of the place you fill your tank. Unless it is dual exhaust of course.

So, I guess I'll answer my own question here. I went ahead and bought the Dynomax super turbo for what was listed as '87 to '92. (Qtec $95+15 shipping) When I got it, the instruction paper said it was for '87 to '90 (go figure, that's what I suspected all along).

I think "passenger side exit" refers to the outlet pipe location on the muffler itself. At any rate, i installed it by flipping the muffler upside down so the outlet was on the left instead of the right, and it all fit perfectly.

Now the good part - the '87-'92 has 2-1/2" connections and pipe. The '93 up has 2-1/4" and has a ss tip. So for $30 less, I got bigger pipe and no bling. It sounds real close to stock at idle and at normal rpms. When you get your foot into it, it sounds great. My seat of the pants dyno says thumbs up.

Back