• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Right turn signal does not work

nated0g

NAXJA Forum User
As stated the right turn signal does not work but the left one does. flashers work. i replaced the 2 bulbs as the "brake light" but not the little side one. when i turn on the headlights or parking lights the right turn indiator turns on solid but the bulb does not come on. pls help

Nathan
1989 Cherokee
4.5 inch Rustys Suspension
32 BFG MT's

which light are you referring to. the indicator light on the dash stays solid if i have the parking lights on but if i turn on hazard it will do like normal and all the lights flash. and the left side turn signal works fine. if i have the parking lights off and go to turn right it just stays solid. i did find out that the right front turn signal light goes out when i try to do the turn signal. maybe ill change that out tomorrow .it has to be something simple.

I just bought the jeep in may as a project vehicle and the kid who owned it before me said it never worked since he owned it its a 89 and im guessing the kid bought it in 02
Im goingto buy new front bulbs tomorrow. might try to find that trick that turns the side marker light into a turn signal as well.

replace the bulb socket also while you are there! i would suspect the previous owner had tried a new bulb while he owned the jeep. they loose the ground circuit internally! it was common in the early models.

jneary said:
replace the bulb socket also while you are there! i would suspect the previous owner had tried a new bulb while he owned the jeep. they loose the ground circuit internally! it was common in the early models.

how do you replace the socket? go to junkyard and cut one off and just splice in the new one?

i wouldnt buy a used one you may end up with the same problem. try an auto parts store or a dealer. the part cant be that expensive. it would be cheaper to do it right the first time then to install used parts and have to do it again.

nated0g said:
how do you replace the socket? go to junkyard and cut one off and just splice in the new one?
I definitely agree that it is a bad socket that is interfering with a good ground. I had the same symptoms and found it was a bad socket that was making a poor ground (the dash indicator lights because the lighting circuit is going back through the dash panel to find a ground).

Go to an auto parts store or a decent hardware store. I replaced it with a GM generic socket that I bought at ACE Hardware. I have read that others used a Ford generic socket. Definitely, get a new one . . . I think they are considerabley less than $5 each.

EDIT

Note: I just used the solderless crimp type splices to attach the new socket to the existing wiring. It's been over 2 years, and everything is still working perfectly.

c3022110.gif

Last edited:
Back