• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rearend blown?

robert stalberger

NAXJA Forum User
Went wheelin' yesterday afternoon and I think I blew the rearend out, just don't know what part. I haven't torn it apart yet and I was just wondering if I could get some ideas on what it might be. If I give it gas the rear shaft spins, but vehicle doesn't move. I made it to the gas station to leave over night and that was because i was in 4 low crawling all the way there. The axles didn't slide out, thank god, but it makes a whole bunch of poping and cracking. I have the d35 with stock gears and I have heard that these are notourious for shearing the axle shafts. Any help would be appreciated.

robert stalberger said:
Went wheelin' yesterday afternoon and I think I blew the rearend out, just don't know what part. I haven't torn it apart yet and I was just wondering if I could get some ideas on what it might be. If I give it gas the rear shaft spins, but vehicle doesn't move. I made it to the gas station to leave over night and that was because i was in 4 low crawling all the way there. The axles didn't slide out, thank god, but it makes a whole bunch of poping and cracking. I have the d35 with stock gears and I have heard that these are notourious for shearing the axle shafts. Any help would be appreciated.

Sounds like a shaft, what year XJ?

'90 the shaft wont slide out if you broke it you will have to unbolt the four bolts behind the drums. Sounds like it could be the spider gears.
DIG IT just crack open the cover and tell us what you find.

That's what I figured, axle or spider gears. Thanks for the help. I'm going to get my budy to help me after he wakes up with a hangover from playing poker till 5:00 this mourning. Thanks again and if I have anymore questions, I'll be sure to ask. like this one. What all will i need if I need to replace one or the other?

robert stalberger said:
That's what I figured, axle or spider gears. Thanks for the help. I'm going to get my budy to help me after he wakes up with a hangover from playing poker till 5:00 this mourning. Thanks again and if I have anymore questions, I'll be sure to ask. like this one. What all will i need if I need to replace one or the other?

FWIW, I know a guy in Fresno with an 87' D35, with 4.10 and a Lock-rite. He also has spare shafts as well. PM me for more info if interested.

ChuckD said:
I thought the 89 was the last year for Non-clips?

hmm now that I think about it my '95 didn't have c-clips but it was swapped in so I am not real sure

It's about 10 miles from my house right now. Could I make it in part time or even full time?

Chuck, why didn't you care for the locker? I live south of L.A. near Oceanside, about 35 miles north of San Diego. I'm right by Camp Pendleton.

Last edited:
No, I don't believe so. I got out of the Marines about 2.5 years ago and I have been in the Navy ever since stationed at Assualt Craft Unit 5, "the big Navy hover crafts".

I don't think I'm gonna go with a rebuild. I've heard that once you blow a d35 once, they're proned to keep doing it unless you go with the super 35 kit.

well yeah you could drive it in 4wd but you will probably break the rearend even more. if its just spider gears its like a 20 min. job the put new or used ones in but if its a shaft or something if you have cclips the axle will walk out of the housing on you.
DIG IT!

Back