• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help top part of the rearmain seal is stuck

martino

NAXJA Forum User
I am replacing the RMS on my jeep and was almost finished But I could not get the top part of the RMS out I tried everything to get it out. Like loosing the crank shaft bolts and prying on the shaft to loosen the seal, to tapping it out with a punch . (to top it off my punch broke off in the seal and there is a peace of my punch left in the seal area). Does anybody have any suggestions? Please help.

91 cherokee 4.0 auto
6''lift 33''tires

I made a punch with the same cross section as the seal to break mine free. Try and use brass if at all possible so you don't scar the crank. You'll probably want to work on the end that doesn't have your punch already broken off in it.

I know I should use brass ,but wont It break easier? this rms i am talking about acts like it is baked in there. and will not move at all.

martino said:
I know I should use brass ,but wont It break easier? this rms i am talking about acts like it is baked in there. and will not move at all.

If it's short enough and the right size it should work eventually. Once you've unstuck it it will probably slide the rest of the way out. Try getting a piece of 1/8 inch brazing rod, and cut a short section off as a punch. Make it as short as you can and still be able to hold it. It will bend before it breaks. If it bends, cut another, etc. If it still bends, cut another piece so short you need vise grips to hold it.

As a last resort you might also consider loosening all the main bearing caps to let the crankshaft down a little, but I wouldn't recommend that if you can avoid it.

im having the same problem today so im going to just pull the motor out so i can pull the crank and get a new cam ground at the same time

Back