• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weld front D30 spiders??

XJ4PINOY

NAXJA Forum User
On my 88 XJ with a 242 TC, can I weld the spiders on my front Dana 30? What's the pros and cons if I can? And what needs to be done as fas as a disconnect? This is a non DD.

TIA

You won't be able to steer hardly at all! It will always want to go straight ahead even with the wheels turned on slick surfaces. It will slide sideways on off-camber slick trails. It is absolutely very dangerous on-road.

if you feel like looking for it, the vacuum disconnect front axle is a good choice for this.

control the vac disco with the selec-trac vac switch from an 84-86 selec-trac equipped XJ (the switch goes into the center console where the little coin tray is, between the shifter and the e-brake handle)

when you flick the switch off it disconnects the passenger side axle and you have "three wheel drive" the steering will pull a little, but this aided tremendously in situations where you'd end up sliding around.

I did this in my 85 XJ, and I wish I woulda kept that axle and the switch to swap into my 89. I really miss that "poor man's selectable locker"

it really wasn't all that bad to turn it when in 4wd. but you need to have the right backspacing on your wheels to pull it off (draw an imaginary line through the balljoints to the ground. if the line points to the center of the tire's contact patch, or slightly outboard of the center, it won't be quite as bad) you can mimic the effect it will have on your steering by stopping on dry pavement, holding down the brakes with a good amount of pressure and then try steering.

any auto locker will cause the off-camber sliding to a degree (they lock when torque is applied)

I have the front welded on mine but it is not a true D30 as it has D44 inner and outer knuckles - so on the trail I get a spool and on the road I turn out the hubs and the spool is transparent - the driveline doesn't spin either - the best of both worlds...

Matt :rolleyes:

XJ_MAC said:
You won't be able to steer hardly at all! It will always want to go straight ahead even with the wheels turned on slick surfaces. It will slide sideways on off-camber slick trails. It is absolutely very dangerous on-road.

Don't take this the wrong way :) - but have you ever driven a welded or spooled rig - front or rear?

Or do you wheel with folks that have problems with it?

I have never had a problem with corkscrewing down the fall line even in 3ft of loose powder snow...

Why is it dangerous on the road - it creates an understeer that is very predictable - run hubs and it works the same as all the other vehicles on the road...

In the rear a spool actually made mine track better than being open - sure you scuff in the parking lot - but what in the heck are you doing in the parking lot if you think you really need a spool....

For a daily driver I would do an ARB or OX (if the money is there) but welding or a mini / full spool is the best traction bang for the buck - period end of story! ;)

Matt

Back