• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

K&N FIPK and throttle body spacer clearance issues?

HEX-J

NAXJA Forum User
I've been told that you can't combine the K&N FIPK and a throttle body spacer due to the hood not clearing the FIPK. Has anyone ever ran into this and is there a remedy? Also wondering how much difference a aftermarket header will make, is it worth the $300-$400?

HEX-J said:
I've been told that you can't combine the K&N FIPK and a throttle body spacer due to the hood not clearing the FIPK. Has anyone ever ran into this and is there a remedy? Also wondering how much difference a aftermarket header will make, is it worth the $300-$400?

$300 - 400 BUCKS ???? I'd go buy a dana 44. I don't think you'd get your moneys worth on that stuff...IMHO... :cool:

$300-$400 is just for the header, the K&N FIPK is $249 and the spacer is around $90!!! Pretty salty eh? Good thing is I already have the Dana 44s for a future install.

HEX-J said:

That's correct. There isn't enough hood clearance for both the TB spacer and the FIPK so you can have only one or the other unless you make a hole in the hood and stick a hood scoop on it.
I suggest you make your own FIPK and save yourself a bunch of $$$. You can copy the one I made (details on my website).
A header won't make a huge difference by itself. It's the front pipe that's restrictive so if you replace it with a better pipe (a muffler shop can make one for you) that doesn't have crimps and chushes in it, you'll gain most of the benefits of the header.

HEX-J said:
Thanks for the advice, and thanks for the link to your website, very informative, as well as cost effective!!!

I'm a cheapskate. What do you expect? Even my stroker's an el cheapo homebrew unit. :D

well I know that Im new here so I wont try to step on to many toes. The hose that comes with the fipk can be trimmed! I have this set up on my xj and the power is definitely noticeable!

I have rusty's intake (pipe goes between stock hose and filter) and a throttle body spacer. It works for me, but i know I need to eventually fab up some form of heat shield.

-Chris

I ran a rock-it tube with a t.b. spacer with minimal hood issues.....later put the rock-it filter on the stock tube with no loss of performance and no hood clerance issues just made a simple brace from aluminum to support the filter....

xj99_jeep said:
well I know that Im new here so I wont try to step on to many toes. The hose that comes with the fipk can be trimmed! I have this set up on my xj and the power is definitely noticeable!

So just trim the silicone spacer that clamps to the TB and the bottom of the FIPK? I notice another poster saying he had to trim the bottom of the FIPK.
Jeez, I hope not. I have had the gen 2 FIPK on my '99 for a couple of months now and I'm about 2 days away from taking delivery of XJ Armors 62mm TB and spacer. Sure would like to throw it all on.

Dr. Dyno said:
That's correct. There isn't enough hood clearance for both the TB spacer and the FIPK so you can have only one or the other unless you make a hole in the hood and stick a hood scoop on it.
I suggest you make your own FIPK and save yourself a bunch of $$$. You can copy the one I made (details on my website).
A header won't make a huge difference by itself. It's the front pipe that's restrictive so if you replace it with a better pipe (a muffler shop can make one for you) that doesn't have crimps and chushes in it, you'll gain most of the benefits of the header.

It still pisses me off that no aftermarket header company makes a damn high flow down pipe for our XJ's
I mean come on.... high flow header into a ultra restrictive downpipe.. yeah, makes sense to me....

If you look closely at your K&N it's most likely rubbing already I know mine is. If you trim the bottom of the intake then you loose the rim at the bottom that helps keep it on.
I'd go with a rocket tube that mounts over the engine and puts the filter at the rear of the passenger side. Every time I've sank mine with the snorkel on that area was dry.

Culinary_Hooligan said:
It still pisses me off that no aftermarket header company makes a damn high flow down pipe for our XJ's
I mean come on.... high flow header into a ultra restrictive downpipe.. yeah, makes sense to me....
there are some out there but the stock manifold works very well and untill you do other things to the motor you wount see a big diffrence. i prefer the borla witch goes all the way to the cat mike leach(also mopar?)are nice units aswell and have 2.5 output instead of the 2.25.

Back