• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DANA 44 outta a comanche

red91

NAXJA Forum User
Got one today for $125.00 complete with drums. But will have to weld spring perches and shock mounts to it ( Big deal ) Does anyone know the original part number for the shock mounts ? My local stealership got me the perches, but has no number on the shock mounts.... ( I think he's not very bright )

if you have a lift you might want to consider fabbing up your own mounts because of the rotation of the pinion

$125 is a pretty good deal, does it have the ratio you want?

you can make the perches and shockmounts real easy if you have even just a 4.5" grinder and a drill. get some 2.5" square or rectangle tube cut it and half and make perches outta that, for shockmounts get a piece of thick angle iron and some 5/8" bolts.

BrettM said:
$125 is a pretty good deal, does it have the ratio you want?

you can make the perches and shockmounts real easy if you have even just a 4.5" grinder and a drill. get some 2.5" square or rectangle tube cut it and half and make perches outta that, for shockmounts get a piece of thick angle iron and some 5/8" bolts.

It's got 3.55 for gears,going to 31's for mostly a DD so this should work out well ( i hope, i hope. w / 5spd trans ) not sure lock or not. Whats up with the pinion rotation ? it's only gonna roate one way... ( or am i being a f ' n idiot again? )

They're referring to the fact that if if you use shims or a longer shackle to take care of vibrations, it will angle the pinion up toward the transfer case more, and your shock mounts will no longer be parallel to the ground, like they're setup stock. Since you have to weld on shock mounts anyways, make sure you weld them on parallel to the ground taking into accouint the new pinion angle.

go to Napa and get a part # P-19. its a shock bolt. then pull the shafts and stuff a rag into the tube witha string. you can drill a 5/8 hole into the tube. then take the napa shock bolt and thread on the nut. there will be about 1/4-1/2" of thread left sticking out. insert that into the 5/8" hole and weld it together.

regaurding pinion angle. go to tom woods web site and there is some good info there about it. then youll understand.

red91inWA said:
It's got 3.55 for gears,going to 31's for mostly a DD so this should work out well ( i hope, i hope. w / 5spd trans ) not sure lock or not. Whats up with the pinion rotation ? it's only gonna roate one way... ( or am i being a f ' n idiot again? )

3.55s, 31s and a 5 speed will be a pretty decent combination. small pedersons comment was in regards to putting the right angle on the pinion so that it's either parallel to your t-case if you have not SYE or pointing at your t-case if you do have an SYE. that comment doesn't really make sense though, because even with dealer mounts, you still weld them on at whatever angle you want.

less than $10.00 bucks for a couple of bolts and 1 leaf spring perch from your local trailer supply.

Jeep_shock_mount_series5.jpg

BrettM said:
3.55s, 31s and a 5 speed will be a pretty decent combination. small pedersons comment was in regards to putting the right angle on the pinion so that it's either parallel to your t-case if you have not SYE or pointing at your t-case if you do have an SYE. that comment doesn't really make sense though, because even with dealer mounts, you still weld them on at whatever angle you want.

No SYE, BUT... I have 3" of lift now... if I go to a bit more, oh say 5" couldn't I set the angle of the mounts and the perches to compensate degree wise for the extra lift?

if you got up to 5" you'll most likely need an SYE, in which case you will have to rotate your angles up more than just a couple degrees. if/when you go with an SYE it would probably be best to grind off your perches and shockmounts and re-do them. keep this in mind when you weld them on, make sure they're on there good, but not too difficult to get off.

BrettM said:
if you got up to 5" you'll most likely need an SYE, in which case you will have to rotate your angles up more than just a couple degrees. if/when you go with an SYE it would probably be best to grind off your perches and shockmounts and re-do them. keep this in mind when you weld them on, make sure they're on there good, but not too difficult to get off.

thats what I needed to know. I kinda like the 3 inch lift, since I don't off road as much as I'd like to YET...

Waiting for Old man to finish the cheap SYE write up.

thanks!!

red91inWA said:
Got one today for $125.00 complete with drums. But will have to weld spring perches and shock mounts to it ( Big deal ) Does anyone know the original part number for the shock mounts ? My local stealership got me the perches, but has no number on the shock mounts.... ( I think he's not very bright )

I just installed a Dana 44 out of a commanche as well here is a picture of it with custom built shock mounts.

Jeep_w_new_MTRs_004.sized.jpg

UPDATE : Ahead of the game again !! It had new brakes, new pinion seal. IT looks like someone went through the whole thing !! :yelclap:

Now the question... Do I have to pull the shafts out to weld the new perches and spring mounts on ?

If so I want to do this before I take it to the shop. And if I do, are there any internal clips to disconect? Or can I unbolt it from the outside and slide them out?

And will I need to use my old e brake cables, and brake line that runs above the axle?

Last edited:
Nope... but I would set the angle of the perches so your pinion is kicked up a few degrees.

If you haven't bought the spring perches from the dealer yet...consider getting the MORE versions: I've used RE and MORE on SOA D44s, and recently the handled MOPAR cheepies... They are cheap for a reason. MORE are quite a bit beefier than the others, and IIRC they sat higher on the tube than the others (free bit of lift). They are on sale now for $36 + shipping.

I'd also second the JKS OGS922 shock mounts. Another thing to consider is sticking both mounts on the rear of the tube...a bit more out of harm's way than the OEM setup. Max's setup is cheap, (I did that on the latest SOA , 1 forward/1 back) but if the bolt shears, there isn't any way to replace it, short of replacing the whole mount... I sheared the forward bolt, first trip out, but they are cheap :dunno:

Already have the factory spring perches, but did looks at the jks shock mounts and LIKED them. Looked like they'd give the shock a little more room to play...

Was thinking of setting the angle at about 3-5 degrees when this is done. Think that'll work for a 3 inch lift?

What about the cables and brake lines?

I was gonna say around 4* but it really depends on lots of other little things:

the spring seat...(some are angled more than others) ,
shackle length
driveline angle (are the motor & trans mounts allowing a lot of slop?)
SYE (or plans for one)

I reused the MJ hard line for the SOA conversion... bent it up a bit to fit.

I never did get to hooking up the MJ brake cables when I put it under the XJ. RHS YJ cables are supposedly a direct fit and longer.

Good find on the axle BTW!!!

woody said:
I was gonna say around 4* but it really depends on lots of other little things:

the spring seat...(some are angled more than others) ,
shackle length
driveline angle (are the motor & trans mounts allowing a lot of slop?)
SYE (or plans for one)

I reused the MJ hard line for the SOA conversion... bent it up a bit to fit.

I never did get to hooking up the MJ brake cables when I put it under the XJ. RHS YJ cables are supposedly a direct fit and longer.

Good find on the axle BTW!!!

No angle on the spring seat.
OEM shackles
SYE - no $$ for that!!
Driveline angle... when I do a 4 degree twist this should make the driveline angle almost back to a semi - stock setting shouldn't it?

Back