• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gas tank issues

Puckhead21

NAXJA Member #935
when i turn left with 1/4 or less of a tank, the fuel cuts off and i have no power, but it returns once ive come out of the turn. once it has even stalled out the thing. anyone else have this problem before, and is it fixable? kinda dangerous gettin onto a busy road when that happens

Last edited:
I don¿t have an answer, but I think I remember this being discussed awhile ago. Sorry to do this to you, but ... "try a search." Go back at least 6 months, maybe more.

I also have an 97XJ, it did the same thing -for the first time- yesterday. These trucks have bad gauge readings. They give false readings at lower levels. Don't let it get lower than a 1/4 reading. I found out on a recall/service page somewhere. If i find it again, I'll post it.

This a recall notice for above situation:

>Recalls Summary

Make: JEEP
Model: CHEROKEE
Year: 1997
Recall Number: 97V194000
Summary:
VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: MULTI-PURPOSE PASSENGER VEHICLES. THE FUEL TANK MOUNTED FUEL LEVEL SENDING UNIT ACCURACY CAN DEGRADE OVER TIME, INDICATING SIGNIFICANTLY MORE FUEL IN RESERVE THAN IS ACTUALLY PRESENT.
Consequence:
OWNERS MAY NOT BE AWARE THAT THEIR VEHICLE IS LOW ON FUEL INCREASING THE RISK OF A VEHICLE CRASH IF THE VEHICLE STOPS DUE TO NO FUEL.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE FUEL LEVEL SENDING UNIT.
Notes:
CHRYSLER WILL MAIL OWNER NOTIFICATIONS IN 3 PHASES. THE FIRST PHASE WILL BEGIN JUNE 16, 1998. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT CHRYSLER AT 1-800-992-1997. ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-800-424-9393. <

Here's a link to the same info: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/results.cfm You may have to fill in the form again. Hope it helps.

Frank

My 1998 does the same thing, but it is not covered by that recall.

Back