• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

@#$%^&*() Anyone want to buy an XJ???????????

WesternXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I've had it with mine!!!!!! Got it running yesterday and all was well. Changed the oil and filter this morning and drove it out to J&W, coming home I lost all oil pressure. Now it's knocking!!!!! It's still full of oil and the temp never went into the red. After I cool off I'm going to pull the oil pressure sending unit and see if I've got oil pressure, if I don't, I'm going to burn it to the ground :evil:
Sorry, needed to vent. :x

Well, I have oil pressure and I just started it up and put it in the drive way. No more knocking noise but I bet the damage has been done :x
After further thought, it's my fault. I used a can of Rislone engine cleaner in it. :oops: Shouldn't have done that!! So I'm going to pull the oil pan and see if I can spot something ( loose rod bearings, main bearings or a plugged oil pickup screen).

Anyone want to pray for me? :shock:

put in some mains

since you are pulling of the oil pan. put in some new crankshaft bearings. i did my at 100k. they were showing signs of copper. its just a little insurance. mains usually go first.

you probably lost oil pressure because of that cleaner. and than when you took off the oil pressure switch to check pressure it bled itself.

i too would burn down that thing. jack

Jack, can the main bearings be changed without droping the crankshaft? Tap the new upper halves in and they will drive the old halves out? The knocking noise sounds more like a rod than the mains, maybe I should change out both? :(

I checked for oil pressure by removing the oil pressure sending unit and starting the Jeep. It pumped oil everywhere! :shock:

SactoXJ, thanks for stoppin by J&W to recruit me I am sure I will have a bunch of good times here. :) Hope the XJ is ok. That really stinks when stuff like that happens. If I had any advice I would give it to ya sorry.
My $0.02.....

Thanks XJDude :D and you're gettin' envovled with a great group of XJ'ers.

Well, here's the update. Pulled the pan and it was full of crap! The oil pump pickup screen had a hand full of crap in it. I pulled one rod cap and the bearing is fried. :shock: So I'll be putting new bearings in the bottom end. :roll:

Take it from me.....[b:4efb794858]DON'T PUT RISLONE IN A USED MOTOR[/b:4efb794858]

:? Ordered new bearings for it today, they should be in Tuesday. Maybe it'll be runnin' by the weekend :shock: I've had enough wrenchin' for a while :x

yes the bearings can be changed without dropping the crank. just loosen up all the main caps and the crank will drop a little. you probably wont notice it but it will drop slightly. than just change all the bearings
1 by 1. dont take out more than 1 at a time. its a fu%%ed up job, because the oil dripping on you head and all the parts are so slippery. most of your oil will have drained off by tuesday.

and make sure that you mesure the bearings to make sure that they are the correct ones. with your luck lately you never know. get some "plasticgauge". its the little plastic rope that you put in with the bearings and than you measure how much it compresses. let me know if you need help with that.

and if your crank is messed up a lot than it will eat up your new bearings fast.
you can sand it smooth in the engine if you have to. jack

Thanks Jack. I'm going to clean up the journals with some emery cloth and WD 40. I ordered stock size bearings, but I might plasti-gage them just to be sure. :roll:

Back