• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Sway Bar

Keep the rear Sway bar

• Keep It

Votes: 9 3.5%
  • Ditch It

Votes: 233 91.4%
  • Quick Discos

Votes: 13 5.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Starboard M

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I know that this has been talked about a lot, but most of the other threads were about the front sway bar.
So, I have been thinking about taking off my rear sway bar. As of right now it is limiting not only my front axle travel, but also the rear (obviously). The front articulates well, but when the rear gets to the same place it almost rolls, or lifts a tire. How many people have/are running a front swaybar and none in the back? Are there any companies that make a quick disco? Can I make one very easily?

BTW, I have 4.5'' of lift on 32's. The rear leaves are quite hard, but I don't know if that is from the swaybar.

This is my DD, but I'm not stupid and I don't think that I have a sports car. I don't drive on the freeway very often, so most of my driving is on city streets, >45 mph.

I have mine out , however i've been told that you should have it in for towing , i dont like ever tow so i dont worry bout it but if i absolutely have to tow i would take the 15 minutes to put it back in , does anyone disagree.

useless- ditch it. save the mounts, might want 'em for shock mounts later. hasta

i dont have the front one but i have the rear one and today i was runing a little late to work and i was doing 75 mph so i dont think that does not make any difference if you really know your xj and trust your driving skills, but thats a individual decision

i have 2" lift and 31's

I ditched mine 3 months after owning my XJ.

I realy didn't notice a diff in ride quality.

Made it easier for my lift to go in, just recently.

Well, it's not useless, and if you rarely ever off-road and never take your Jeep on difficult trails then you should leave it on. It doesn't do very much, however, and if you have stiffer than stock rear springs then it does even less. So, in your case it would definitely be worth taking it off for the increased flex.

An XJ with 4.5" of lift using stiffer aftermarket springs running 32" tires should not have a rear swaybar. That thing is only there to compensate for the too soft stock springs, and as others have mentioned, even Jeep removes it with the slightly stiffer Up Country suspension.

I've towed a 5,000 lb trailer cross country with my XJ, which never had a swaybar (it was Up Country). No need for it unless you have those stock springs (in which case don't plan to tow much weight).

Nay

pabloconrad said:
It's not my driving I'm worried about, it those other jerks on the hiway. :skull2:
Exactly why I keep my front swaybar connected, although I lost the rear one while installing my first lift. I even drove the XJ for awhile with no front swaybar after installing the 4.5" lift - I trusted my driving and was able to compensate, but there's just too many morons out there so I reconnected it to give me that extra slim chance of saving myself, the rig and most importantly my kids if I ever got into a "situation"

Yucca-Man said:
Exactly why I keep my front swaybar connected, although I lost the rear one while installing my first lift. I even drove the XJ for awhile with no front swaybar after installing the 4.5" lift - I trusted my driving and was able to compensate, but there's just too many morons out there so I reconnected it to give me that extra slim chance of saving myself, the rig and most importantly my kids if I ever got into a "situation"

Now where is that dead horse...

Hasta Hasta Hasta

The front swaybar depends on your suspension. Do a search. You shouldn't be able to find any aftermarket leaf springs soft enough to justify a rear swaybar.

Nay

Thanks for all the replys. Most of you though that it is a worthless piece of scrap. My CJ doesn't have swaybars front or rear and it sways like a drunk. However thats with 44 year old springs that are uber soft. So, next week it is coming off. :party:

While your at it ditch the front also :eek:) Not running either and drove from Arizona to Kentucky that way, wheel it that way and daily drive it that way! Been that way for over a year now. But its up to you :eek:) Later Jeff CamoXJ

BTW, its dangerous so dont do it. Not trying to start a flame war here, I also run adjustable shocks! I just think sway bars are for ******* j/k Jeff CamoXJ

just for the record i was just lookin at RE instructions for the 3.5 lift, and they tell you to remove it, that it wont be used again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back