• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front driveshaft modifications for a 6.5" lift?

94XJ4x4

NAXJA Forum User
I am going to be lifting my 94 Xj 6.5" and i know i will need a SYE and I am going to get a Tom Woods cv driveshaft, but what modifications do i need to make to the driveling in the front?... or do i not have to do anything? Any reply would be greatly appreciated. Also what degree shims should i get for the rear end when lifting my xj 6.5"?

I have a MIG welder that i can use but im no expert. What would be involved in extending my driveshaft, and how about much would it cost to have it done at a shop.

if you have a vacuum disconnect axle or lockout hubs, you can cut and extend it yourself pretty easy, I did mine and it's vibration free in 4wd up to about 35 mph. If you don't have disco or hubs then your D-shaft will be spinning all the time and you better take it to a shop. up to $50-100 seems to be the normal.

you may not need anything, wait until you're done lifting it to see.

Lift it and you may be surprised at what you may not need to change.

My '92 is at 7" and on the stock front and rear shafts with no danger of losing them. Don't automatically assume that you need this extra stuff done just because people say you're gonna need it.

No shims here either and my angles are not a problem.

I've not had to do anything to my stock front drive shaft. When I ordered my rear drive shaft from Tom Woods, I gave him the required measurements and he sent me the appropriate length drive shaft. At that time, I had to shim the rear about 6 degrees.

Like Okie said, don't assume. Lift it first and see what you end up with. On your front shaft, measure the length of the exposed spline while static, then unhook it from the differential and extend the shaft and check how much you have left. I cannot remember how much spline I had extra, but it was several inches. When you order your rear shaft and SYE, give him the measurements and let him know you need shims for the rear to adjust the rear driveline ... he'll recommend the proper degree shim and send it with the shaft.

Les

Back