• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

brake question

Atl XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, I have kind of a newb question here. I did a search and didn't find an answer. Sometimes not all the time when I hit the brakes hard (but not hard enough that they should lock up) my front drivers side wheel locks up. Only that wheel and always that wheel when it happens. It doesn't happen all the time, but when it happens it really shouldn't. Example, in case it helps. Today I was driving down the road at about 35-40 mph when the car in front of me on the left decided to suddenly hit the brakes and come into my lane. I hit the brakes in order to avoid hitting them and my front driver's side brake (the same one as always) locked up. It was a bit of a panic stop, but there is no reason why my brakes should have locked up especially not just one. I know how hard I can hit the brakes normally without them locking up. My XJ has always normally had really good brakes and it happens irratically so I don't know what causes it. Everything looks good by visual inspection, but I haven't taken anything apart yet. I'm guessing its a caliper issue. Any help would be appreciated since I don't know much about brakes other than how to service them.
TIA
Oh yeah, I don't have antilock brakes.

If you can't see an external cause like oil on the brake lining or rough disk, then replace the caliper. I live in salt country, and they eventually corrode in the piston bore and seize on.....doesn't make for a fun time. There is usually some warning in terms of one side getting grabby or erratic in braking performance before the big total lock on. Ignore at your peril.

Some times it´s not the brake that´s locking up, that´s the problem, but the opposite side, that´s not braking enough. Unever pad ware, like the inner pad and outer pad not weraing close to equal, is a sure sign, something is wrong. Or different wear from side to side.
First thing I do in a brake service, is loosen the bleeder and push the caliper piston in with a big pair of pliers. Should go in with some pressure, but not really excessive. Check the rubber boot around the piston for tears, if it´s torn, behind the seal is usually full of rust. Slide the caliper on the rods, should move on the rods, with a moderate pressure. It´s possible to cross up the teflon sleeves that ride on the rods and cause binding.
I often sand the glaze off of the pad face, and allow the pads to reseat. A light sanding with 100 grit snad paper, doesn´t cause significant wear and helps stop squeals, also a good time to check for small stones caught between the pads and disc. Lightly sanding the disc, against the rotation 45% from the center to the edge, also helps in even wear, prevents ridges and valleys.
Don´t let the calipers hang from the rubber hose, causes cracks, use a piece of wire to hang them up somewhere.

May wish to try a new set of pads. You can get them as little as $10 at a parts store, and that is cheaper and easier than installing 2 new calipers. (You aren't supposed to just replace one). If that doesn't fix it, you need 2 new calipers. You are going to need the new pads eventually anyway. Just a thought.

it sounds like a caliper problem. i would also check to see if the other caliper is working properly. maybe one is sticking. are the pads on one side worn more than the other? if it comes to a brake pad problem, i dont recommend the $10 specials. there is a reason they aer so cheap, like crappy material. i recommend replacing them with the jeep "valueline" pads. they are made to factory standards and are not bad in price to be competitive with aftermarket replacements. we replace them all day at the dealership and never have any squeak or premature waer problems.

Back