• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch MC Problems

Beagles

NAXJA Forum User
I did a complete clutch job on my daughter's '89 4.0 (concentric MC) back in January. Today, I took it for a drive and noticed that the clutch wasn't releasing smoothly and that it was getting tough to put in gear. I tried bleeding it by cracking the bleeder, depressing the pedal, and then tightening the bleeder while the pedal was on the floor. This was the method I used when everything was installed and it worked fine. I'm getting a nice stream of fluid out of the bleeder but after going through about a quart of fluid, I still can't get a firm petal. By the way, it's an Autozone MC but it appears to be okay because it has no problem pumping out fluid when the bleeder is open. Any tips on bleeding or checking out which part of the system might not be functioning?
Thanks!

is the system getting low on fluid? im assuming you replaced the slave cylinder. i have read some posts where crummy aftermarket parts were installed. i recommend factory replacements in those instances, its not fun removing the trans again because an inferior part was installed. alsocheck to see if fluid isnt runnind down the firewall under the dash where the master cyl. comes through. this hydraulic system doesnt hold much fluid so it doesnt take much of a leak to get air in the system, and if it is the slave cyl leaking, it may not be noticable for some time.

The aftermarket slaves leave alot to be desired. Several things that are in my book dealer only are slaves, hoses, tstat, fan clutch, fuel pump or pretty much anything that is a PIA to replace. I don't care how good a parts store warranty is if I have to drop the gas tank 2x a year to take advantage of it...or in your case the tranny and tc... 6 months though seems about average for an aftermarket slave, even from napa...

Back