• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Full length Roof Rack available???

pabloconrad

NAXJA Forum User
This is an odd question of sorts.

As a photog, I stand on top of my XJ a lot. The reason is to get a better angle and shoot over stuff. you know, nekked woman in the window and trying to get over that blasted fence. Just kidding.

I stepped in the wrong spot the other day and sorta popped the top. Now when I'm wheeling, it "pops" once in a while.

Is there a full length roof rack available stong enough to hold my weight (I'll say 200 lbs.) when I stand on it? Or will I have to manufacture one?

I know smaller ones are available. Maybe I'll have to buy two.

Any suggestions?

"tusen takk" in advance.

I think Con-Ferr makes one that is pretty close to full-length; you can get a floor for it as well or use plywood

BrettM said:
Con-fer makes all different sizes, and i've seen some that go the full length. personally I would make it myself just so i could have it exactly how i want it.

I agree. I just looked at Con-Ferr's site and they don't have one full size. Or I just looked in the wrong spot.

Thanks guys/gals. :cheers:

Check Garvin Wilderness racks. The one I got from Rusty for the XJ isn't quite full length, but I think they make other sizes. And it's modular -- two end pieces and a center section, so if all else fails you could take it to a local welder and just have him match the center sections but make 'em a foot or so longer.

I think I remember seeing ARB made a roof rack that was full length but I'm sure it cost an arm and a leg. Juice

quadratec sells olymipic 4x4 racks that are full length, toss in an appropriate peice of plywood and it should do fine

I myself have considered a rack,and mounting lights on top. I was thinking that if the lights where to close to the windshield [to far forward] they would create a glare on the it. Am I right in my thinking or full of bull? If right how far back is enough? If it matters I was considering a flood or driving light to put up there.

scoobyxj said:
I myself have considered a rack,and mounting lights on top. I was thinking that if the lights where to close to the windshield [to far forward] they would create a glare on the it. Am I right in my thinking or full of bull? If right how far back is enough? If it matters I was considering a flood or driving light to put up there.
When I was thinking of putting on a roof rack, I thought the same thing. I know that they would glare, but I don't know how much. A flood would glare more then the driving light, but I don't know how much more

I would tell you to build one yourself: for 1 you can make it any size you want and make it with accs. plus it will be a hell of a lot cheaper... I built mine myself and I have others wanting soom also

ARB makes one.....very strong, awesome racks.....however, they no longer import them, and they were around $1000. The Hannibal racks are awesome too....tough, and with the wide slats it would probably be pretty comfortable to stand on. However, they are expensive as well. I don't know how sturdy the others are, though the Olympic Top-Hat rack looks pretty tough, as it's built to protect the top sides of your rig as well. Best of luck!
DF7

There is guy in Maryland that makes racks for Land Rovers. I had talked to him last summer about doing something up for my XJ. Full size, sloped angles, jack and tire mounts. He said someplace around 450-525. But that was last summer and the cost of steel has gone up. He did have ads on www.discoweb.org

I believe it was Rover Solutision but I'm not sure. Juice

XTrmXJ said:
I would tell you to build one yourself: for 1 you can make it any size you want and make it with accs. plus it will be a hell of a lot cheaper... I built mine myself and I have others wanting soom also

Do you have round corners? If so how did you fab them? I don't have accesss to a bender. Other technique I'm aware of is heating and forcing over some mandrel.
-Joe

The Garvin wilderness rack is full length (6 feet long). This is what I have and it covers the entire roof and we've shot film off of it in the past. You'd fall off the side (or through the windshield) before you'd accidentally step on the roof.

Nay

I bought a used Con-Ferr rack from a guy who had it on an older Land Cruiser. It was made for the Land Cruiser and fit the XJ very well and covered front to back and side to side. I think that rack is in Utah somewhere now.

-Mike

footdale said:
Do you have round corners? If so how did you fab them? I don't have accesss to a bender. Other technique I'm aware of is heating and forcing over some mandrel.
-Joe

I used 1" x 1/8" square steel to build , I followed the contuer of the XJ when built and I developed an air dam in the front to help deflect air, I also built my lights into the air dam to cover and protect them on the trails.. 360* lighting, jack,tire, power tank mounts.. I built this rack for around $100 -$150, very sturdy...

Back