• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

An Idea for mounting a tool box ...

pabloconrad

NAXJA Forum User
While traversing a gnarly road over the weekend, my tool box decided to go Jeepin' in the back on its own and ended up taking a spill. As I hit a bump, I looked into the rear-view and saw my socket set, not to mention everything else, in mid-air.

Not too big of a deal, but after spending half-an-hour searching for all my lost sockets, wrenches and pliers, I decided it's time to find a way to mount my tool box in the back.

As I don't like running into the "I don't have the right tool" syndrome, I like to carry my 4-drawer chest with "every socket known to man" and accessories. Yes, I've had to use them on occasion, so it's worth the effort.

My idea is taking some angle iron and mounting to the back floor (in the cargo area) about the width of the tool box. Then use two straps to tie it down so you have the ability to unstrap it, open the top, slide open a drawer and get what tool you may need.

Would you suggest welding the angle iron or just bolting it?

Any thoughts?

Terry has a stupendous point. I would bolt it, for sure. Even a handful of self-tappers should do the trick. Well, maybe a couple handfuls. Plus, that makes it easily removed or upgraded down the line. Always a good consideration.

-Rich

Frankly, I'd be more worried about running a self-tapping screw down into the gas tank than I would about a few tak welds. BTW -- I didn't see a year specified, so he may well have a steel gas tank rather than plastic, unless y'all know something I don't.

That tank is right up against the floor in several locations.

Why do I know?? Several years back I plated the rear floor of my XJ secured with self tapping screws. A couple years later I went to drop my gas tank and found it securely fastened to the bottom of my jeep...:(

Well, there I go assuming...I made an ass. I was hoping the lad would have the sense to check into his tank beforehand and see where it was. I mounted a small platform in the cargo area to transport some furniture once, and I drilled a small hole from underneath the XJ into the cargo area and used it as a starting point for all the other mounts. Worked for me, but YMMV.

-Rich

pabloconrad said:
My idea is taking some angle iron and mounting to the back floor (in the cargo area) about the width of the tool box. Then use two straps to tie it down so you have the ability to unstrap it, open the top, slide open a drawer and get what tool you may need.

Would you suggest welding the angle iron or just bolting it?

Any thoughts?

you have a floor back there?? i made a box out of plywood and 2x10s that fits snug into the compartment and the top slides out to carry spare axles and such inside it.. the tool boxes and other stuff is tied down on top of it.. i realized how bad the floors were when i did the fuel tank this weekend.. i just slapped the new tank in and hid the problem again... :viking:

when i do replace the floors im going to fix the cancer spots and then wled down a sheet of steel to weld brackets for everything directly to it..

Back