• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing bad booster!

Mike L

NAXJA Forum User
I am replacing the brake booster on my 96. It has a leak right around the brake pedal rod. My brakes have really sucked while trying to figure this leak out. A buddy found the leak and I ordered a rebuilt 96 booster and hope that will help out my crappy brakes. I was told that I can just remove the m/c and pull it out of the way to remove the booster, thus I will not mess with the hydraulic lines so I don't need to re-bleed the brakes, correct?
Would there have been a benefit of going to another booster? Like the WJ booster, but wouldn't I have to change the m/c as well? I am going to do the WJ knuckle/brake conversion in the future to help out with the brakes.

-Mike

I lost my brake booster during the EJS this past Spring. I had a little hissing around the brake pedal on the way out there. Mid-week around lunch time on Golden Spike the booster lost all boost, all of a sudden. The leak was very loud and the motor ran bad. It was quite an adventure to run the second half of the Spike with no brake boost. My back is still screwed up from standing on the brake pedal.

Anyway, I had one shipped in and replaced it at our camp. Took about 45 minutes. I just moved the MC out of the way without disconnecting the brake lines. Be gentle on those lines when moving it around. The firewall is sandwiched between the brake pedal bracket and the booster. I had to align the bracket while another person moved the booster around. You will also have to adjust the plunger. This is the rod that is connected to the pedal and pushes the MC. The adjuster is on the MC end of it. You'll see it when you look at the new booster. It sets the brake pedal height when it touches the MC. The MC had to come off twice before I had this adjustment correct.

Hope this helps!
Tim

Thanks. I read some instructions that came with the booster and it said how to tell if the rod is adjusted right. If yoiu depress the pedal about 1/2" down then the fluid in the front of the m/c should squirt or something like that. Does that sound right? Did you do it a different way? I was thinking of measuring the length from the end of the booster where the m/c sits to the front of the plunger and then duplicate that measurement on the new booster it may make it a little easier. What do you think? Thanks.

-Mike

Back