• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dome lights staying on

Stoney

NAXJA Forum User
i went wheelin this weekend and now my dome lights are staying on? i took my doors off but i pulled the switches out so thats not the problem. i just can't figure it out.
light knob doesn't do anything
closed all doors????????????????????//

so now i jsut pull the dome fuse out but i can't do that all the time cuz the radio is hooked to the dome light fuse?

any other suggestions??

stoney

If U turn off the radio, does the dome lights go off? Maybe the tunes are completing some rebel circuit whilst your back is turned? Are U tapped in at the fusepanel or midstream?

Do U like your domelights? Cut the wires if not, and put a switch up there if U do :dunno: Don't make it hard on yourself, man, it's only 12 volts.

yea, the dome lights, radio, and LCD clock are all wired into the same fuse...

when you pulled the switches in the door jams did you complete the circuit? or did you leave it open? It sounds like you just left the wires apart and did not complete the circut. Look how those switches work and you'll understand what i'm talking about.

-Scott

the switches are open. garenteed.

stoney

did you check to see if they were turned on by the headlamp switch? or the rear cargo area switch. maybe while reinstalling the switches, one of the switch wires is grounded.

I had this same problem I just pulled out the bulb. It has been replaced by a flashlight in the glovebox.

Just to add another twist to the mess - my dome lights did that every so often. I finally tracked it down to the rear passenger door switch not compressing enough when it closed. I think the front seatbelt got caught in it one time and dimpled the sheetmetal just enough...I JB Welded a dime in place and haven't thought about it since then.

Ok I am going off of memory here (which mine sucks) anyway.

So your saying you removed the doorpin switches completely. If so you left the female wire connector there correct? I believe if this gets grounded in any way i.e. againt the doorjam or any metal then the light will come on. I am almost positive this will happen. So one or all of the wires are probably just resting on the metal of the body of the jeep.
HTH
DIG IT!

Stoney said:
i took my doors off but i pulled the switches out so thats not the problem.
Correction -- that IS the problem.

The dome light circuit is always hot. The door post switches do NOT interrupt the current on the supply side, they complete the ground. If you yanked the switches and didn't isolate and insulate the wires that were left behind, more than likely one of those wires is making contact inside the door pillar and completing the circuit.

Eagle said:
Correction -- that IS the problem.

The dome light circuit is always hot. The door post switches do NOT interrupt the current on the supply side, they complete the ground. If you yanked the switches and didn't isolate and insulate the wires that were left behind, more than likely one of those wires is making contact inside the door pillar and completing the circuit.

haha I beat you eagle :party: ;)

You said you took all the doors off? First, check the rear dome light switch... mine is setup so you can turn the dome lights on manually when you open the rear hatch.

Next, the other more likely problem is that you took the door switches off but you didn't tape up the ends of the plugs and one of them is touching the body somewhere, completing the circuit.

Back