• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tj Dana 44 Front End

cdw25271

NAXJA Forum User
Could someone tell me the good or bad on tj dana 44 front ends. I understand they should bolt right in an xj. I looked but couldn't find any info on here anywhere. Thanks

The good: It bolts right in. It's got decently strong outers. The ring gear is larger than the D30.

The bad: Those outers are the same ones (297-jointed) that XJs have run since 95/96. The ring gear, while larger, is low-pinion and therefore not as strong as the same in high-pinion would be. Therefore, the LP D44 r+p are roughly as strong as the HP D30 r+p used until the 2000 model year XJ. It would be an upgrade over the LP D30 in the '00 and '01 XJ though.

Could-be-good: Locker and 4.10s

Jim pretty much got all of the major points there.

Some more bad points are... no manually locking hubs, expensive (pretty much as pricey as building a real HP 44 axle. The rubicon D44 front axle is pretty much a hybrid axle and has some funky stuff dealing with the carrier or R&P gears. I dont recall what it was but something had to be shimmed really heavly to make things work right. Maybe someone else can chime in.

-Scott

It's also a low pinion.

Thanks for the info. I did do a few searchs for dana 44 and tj 44 and xj 44 and all i found was couston built axles. Maybe the next time someone has a question about tj dana 44 front ends this thread will come up since it is in the title. I have a dana 30 w/o disco and used warn hub conversion with inner warn axles also, 4.56 gears and a lockright locker just have to get it together. Sounds like i have a better setup already than the dana 44 tj.

Yucca-Man said:
Already covered that, thanks...
Sorry. I missed it 'cause you mentioned it under ring gear size and I was scanning.

Back