• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

94 XJ hatch speaker wiring...

ghettocruiser

NAXJA Forum User
Ok...this subject has come up time and time again as Ive discovered from searching this board. However I still have a question. Ok... My 94 XJ apparently did not come with rear hatch speakers. The mounts are there, the grilles are there, but you can tell no speaker was ever screwed in. Its a two door jeep by the way. I looked at my wiring diagrams, and even went to jeep to see if they knew...and I still cant figure out if there are speaker wires back there. The stupid stock radio had both balance and fade... And i cant be 100% sure,but I believe the harness up front had wires for rear speakers... The pioneer is too much of a pain to take out to check right now. So I guess my question is, did they run wires back to the hatch regardless of whether or not it had the rear speaker option? If someoen can let me know, and maybe give me an idea of where to start messing with this that would be great. Thanks in advance. I know its one of the simpler things I need to do to this thing, but I love music while Im driving, so rear speakers would be ncie.

Justin

i'm not positive if it wired, but if your going to install speakers there you should see the wires close to the speaker mounting holes. usually the new speakers come with wiring , and if not at least you have wire to run to the radio.

Ok...I pulled the radio out again tonight, and it seems there are wires at the harness coming from the dash. But Im almost positive there are no wires back at the speaker mounting area. Now that I know the correct colors I might have to re-check it. If there are wires in the dash harness, they have to terminate somewhere. Im wondering if they are stuffed up in the headliner near the hatch somewhere?? Ill have to check on that...but if anyone else has any info or tips for me let me know.

Justin

My 96 came with the cheepe radio and NO rear speakers.There were wires running to the rear for the speakers(wires are bundled behind spare tire mount panel).But wires were not run thru the hatch or to the hatch.It will be a major pain to run the wires thru the hatch.
I don,t know if a post 96 sound bar could be fitted but that would be an easy solution.
Wayne

My '91 had the wire in the hatch, it also had speakers but the funny thing was the speakers had never been hooked up.

The wires were still taped up and never hooked up.

It's been a while since I dealt with it, but I seem to recall that my stepson's 93 (also a 2-door with factory radio and no rear speakers) had the wiring in the hatch itself, and that all I needed to do was to install the speakers and plug them in. It's certainly worth a look in the hatch.

I R+R'd my hatch panel off a few months ago (don't even remember why at this point), and although I have the rear soundbar I'm 95% positive there were also speaker wires going to the hatch as well.

Hey thanks for the info. I definetly know there are wires for the rear speakers somewhere, because the harness in the dash has them. They definetly arent in the hatch...although, there were some un-identified wires back there with various different ends on them. Im going to take a pic of them when I have it apart again. Sooo...My guess is that they terminate in the back somewhere near the hatch. Headliner or something. Ill figure something out. Im not going to mess with running anything into the hatch. Thanks for all the help. Ill be happy if I find wires back there so I dont have to run them alll the way from the front.

Justin

Wayne, You were right. I found the wires behind the spare. All four wires going into one plug. I got some 6x9 speaker boxes, threw some spares speakers I had laying around in them, and viola! Sounds much better. Thanks for all the help guys! One of my mystery problems solved! Many more to come Im sure.

Justin

Back