• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Incompetence at its best

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
For those of you who read my thread about the loud squealing noise coming from the Jeep, it turned out to be coming internally from the Napa brand alternator Wade's Auto Repair installed five months prior.

This morning I took my Jeep back to Wade's Auto Repair, to get the alternator fixed. They said they would replace it under their six-month warranty they give when someone gets work done. I said OK great, I'll be back at 6pm, after work, to pick it up (they closed at 5pm).

Well I walk a half-mile to work, and start the day. About 1:30 I call them and they said it was done, alternator replaced, everything is just fine. Great!!! So 6pm rolls around, and I walk the half-mile back to get my Jeep.

The first thing I find is a bill on the front seat for $47.99 worth of labor. WTF it was supposed to be free (covered under warranty). I start the Jeep up, and the first thing I notice is the battery gauge is just about in the red!!!!

I took it a couple of blocks down the street to Schucks to have them test the alternator, which just got put in 6 hours ago, and it's bad! The guy at Schucks said there was a charging problem, and couldn't even get a reading.

WTF!!! Could they not even check their work?? How incompetent is that?

I also noticed on my bill, it said, "aftermarket wiring done to the charging circuit may void warranty." So replacing the stock battery cables with 4ga is going to void their warranty?!

Getting the Jeep to them was already a huge inconvenience today, and I actually NEED the Jeep tomorrow. Oh man have they got one angry message waiting for them in the morning.

As a fair warning, stay away from Wade's Auto Repair in Bend, Oregon.

Ill make sure if Im ever traveling to Oregon to keep the 90 back from them, thanks for the heads up.

Don't worry all is now well. I found the alternator cable NOT PUT ON.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonder if that's what they were calling "aftermarket wiring"

Of course there was a problem. You didn't by theirs. It's funny, none of the parts I've ever takento shucks work.

90Pioneer said:
Noticed on my bill, it said, "aftermarket wiring done to the charging circuit may void warranty." So replacing the stock battery cables with 4ga is going to void their warranty?!

Usually when shops come up with excuses such as these, they are not reliable. As a Navy and civilian electrician skilled in both DC and AC work, wire size has nothing to do with alternator power, drain, etc.

In fact, the larger wire guages used are better for the battery and charger as it eliminates voltage loss. It's also safer because they can handle the current, amps, better and with less chance of fire.

So, the lessen here: when shops come up with lame excuses for not covering their warrenty, then avoid them like the plague and let others know.

90Pioneer said:
For those of you who read my thread about the loud squealing noise coming from the Jeep, it turned out to be coming internally from the Napa brand alternator Wade's Auto Repair installed five months prior.

This morning I took my Jeep back to Wade's Auto Repair, to get the alternator fixed. They said they would replace it under their six-month warranty they give when someone gets work done. I said OK great, I'll be back at 6pm, after work, to pick it up (they closed at 5pm).

Well I walk a half-mile to work, and start the day. About 1:30 I call them and they said it was done, alternator replaced, everything is just fine. Great!!! So 6pm rolls around, and I walk the half-mile back to get my Jeep.

The first thing I find is a bill on the front seat for $47.99 worth of labor. WTF it was supposed to be free (covered under warranty). I start the Jeep up, and the first thing I notice is the battery gauge is just about in the red!!!!

I took it a couple of blocks down the street to Schucks to have them test the alternator, which just got put in 6 hours ago, and it's bad! The guy at Schucks said there was a charging problem, and couldn't even get a reading.

WTF!!! Could they not even check their work?? How incompetent is that?

I also noticed on my bill, it said, "aftermarket wiring done to the charging circuit may void warranty." So replacing the stock battery cables with 4ga is going to void their warranty?!

Getting the Jeep to them was already a huge inconvenience today, and I actually NEED the Jeep tomorrow. Oh man have they got one angry message waiting for them in the morning.

As a fair warning, stay away from Wade's Auto Repair in Bend, Oregon.
i would send them a bill of 47.99 for finishing their work

Amen to back billing that hack shop.
Auto-Zone here in Radcliff,Ky sure knows me and the problem that it causes them when they screw me over. I took 7 customers outta that store one night when I walked out, after explaining to the entire store ( in NO uncertain terms) how upset I was with them selling my wife $67.00 worth of garbage, that she didn't need, and then wouldn't refund.
I sent her in there for an exhaust tip and a fuel filter, for her '90 Buick Century. (about $15.00 worth of stuff)
I say, Make a business stand behind itself.

red91inWA said:
Of course there was a problem. You didn't by theirs. It's funny, none of the parts I've ever takento shucks work.

I actually did buy "theirs." When I got it done originally they supplied the alternator, which they purchased from Napa.

Back