• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lift installation

Puckhead21

NAXJA Member #935
hey all, quick ?.

i wanted to know how hard it is to install a lift, i have some knowledge of automotive stuff. its not doing it that im leery of, its screwing it up that im worried about =]

PB blaster +time = bolts
wrenches and sockets + a BFH + elbow grease = DONE

actually i was lookin at it earlier this evening to see what axles i had (dana 35, which i hear is not too good for wheeling), and the rust wasnt real bad at all.

looks can be deceiving, but that's good that it's at least not real bad. Get a couple cans of PB Blaster and start soaking every suspension bolt twice a day for a week or two before you start. How big were you looking to go? what kits were you looking at? 3-4" and 31" tires is a GREAT starting point for an XJ and will not threaten the strength of you D35 much, and the gearing will still be decent. Hang around here for a while, do lots of reading and lots of searching.

Go to your local chapter and say you're having a lift party. There may be some people in your area who can help you.

It's a good way to meet people and get your Jeep lifted. You'll have to provide food and beverages, though.

Lookig at your profile, Seeing that your XJ is a '97. Shouldn't be all that hard.

I'm sure you read through my ordeal, but my XJ is a '91 with lots of Ontario Rust on it.

Use lot of BP Blaster, get yourself a breaker bar and peice of pipe.

its funny i was looking under it in the rear and was surprised at how simple the rear suspension is. i was thinking of going with AR767 15x8 with a 4in? BS, was also lookin at the cragar streetlock, havent really decided on the tires yet, but i like the GY MT/R 31x10.5, the RE 3.5in AAL, but was stuck on the shocks there, basically, should i spend more for good shocks? from what ive been reading that sounds like it might work

Last edited:
sounds like a good little shopping list there. some other things to keep in mind is that you will almost certainly need an SYE and driveshaft. Good shocks are good shocks, but you pay for it. If you want it to ride like a Caddy, get the OME shocks, if you want to be cheap, you can get 4 shocks for $100.

I'm about 1/2 through a RE 3.5" on a '92. Things were going pretty good then a busted a top bolt on a rear shock. Also the rear shocks don't fit on the shock mount stud (hole too small - maybe I have to remove the metal insert in the shock)? But other than that , it's been fun.

Don't waste the $$ on the street locks, go with the 767's. Lift is pretty simple to do as everyone is saying, just start PB Blasting everything under your XJ once you order the lift and for about a week after it gets there. I have a '00 and I busted 3 upper shock bolts, a crossmember bolt and a rear bumpstop bolt. PM me and we can get some people together to help you out when you are ready to install.

Commonly frozen parts are going to be the upper shock bolts. I just realized there was a great thread recently, showing how they cut the floor from above to clear those things out...I never saved the link.

The other common bear to remove will be the front spring hanger where the bolt has corroded itself to the sleeve in the bushing. I don't know of any good writeups about that (yet) but there were some nice pics of the problem posted the other day (by XJ91?)

Finally - Jeep - take the metal sleeve out of the shock bushing. They fit real well after that. :D

I got the busted shock bolt drilled & tapped (thank God). Then I take one of the good bolts to the hardware hoping to get Grade 8 bolts. But found out this is not a 5/16" like I thought but a 8mm (1.25cp). Freekin metrics :shocked: . And from what I'm told metrics are hard to find in Grade 8. Anybody know where to look?

Thanks

Jeep said:
I got the busted shock bolt drilled & tapped (thank God). Then I take one of the good bolts to the hardware hoping to get Grade 8 bolts. But found out this is not a 5/16" like I thought but a 8mm (1.25cp). Freekin metrics :shocked: . And from what I'm told metrics are hard to find in Grade 8. Anybody know where to look?

Thanks

That's not the case here. I got all 4 of the top bolts out and went to my nearest CTC (Canadian Tire Corp) and metric bolt are a dime a dozen.

I had a hard time finding replacement front leaf bolts, which are S.A.E. 4.25" long.

I can post a pic later of what I did after I cut the floor for one of the welded bolts.

Check out an Ace Hardware-type of place; they should have metrics there. Grade 8 is an SAE measurement so you won't find that...possible SPOBI says 8,8 is comparable.

Thanks Jim - yea, the place I went to is well known for their huge varity of nuts & bolts. I'll keep looking but these Grade 5's will probably be alright for now.

Michel :wave:

Back