• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how to get pulley off water pump

grasseater

NAXJA Forum User
Got everything off the front of the 4.0 on my XJ. How do I get the pulley off the water pump? I see the two small holes on the front. Is there a tool to hold it while I break the bolts loose?

Thanks in advance...

You shoulda broke the bolts loose while the belts were still attached to the pulley. Remove the fan, loosen the pulley, loosen the belts, remove pulley.

It's a pain but you can jam a screwdriver between two of the bolt heads to hold the pulley while you break one loose. I didn't read the instructions until too late also. :)

Fred

I remembered I have air tools. Took care of the pulley in a snap. New pump's mounted & I'll be piecing it back together tomorrow after work. Thanks for the tips...

If you get stuck like that again, consider a plumber's strap wrench (used to remove chrome drainpipes and the like without ruining them). while holding the pulley, get the wrench on the bolts and hit them with a sharp rap, rather than just torquing them. It will usually start them before the grip on the pulley slips.

Back