• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Big Bear on Sunday July 11th

How rough is this trail, I would really like to go but my XJ is not all that equipped yet?

I read my post and figure the next question will be what so you have, so here it is.....

1992 Jeep XJ SPort 4wd auto.
3.5" Lift with Rancho RS9000x
31" BFG A/T KO
No lockers either front or rear
Rear sway gone and fron tdisconnectable
that is about all......few cosmetic mods......will I be ok?

tcm glx said:
I read my post and figure the next question will be what so you have, so here it is.....

31" BFG A/T KO

you can make it but... you want rock rails or you want to be REALLY careful. If need be don't hesitate to ask for help spotting or maybe invisible caltrans :D Btw, no matter how careful or built you are do expect that things happen and you might pickup a scratch or a dent.

Kejtar said:
you can make it but... you want rock rails or you want to be REALLY careful. If need be don't hesitate to ask for help spotting or maybe invisible caltrans :D Btw, no matter how careful or built you are do expect that things happen and you might pickup a scratch or a dent.

I think I'm reading between the line.
:roll:

-- Dean --

xman said:
Yap, you can run Jon Bull and Holcomb Creek easily in a day, As long as you don’t get to lost.

Hasta

-- Dean --
Double ouch!! Btw couple guys from a mini cooper dealership might show up. ANd yeah... they will not be drivng minis.

Are there bypass roads.....I am not worried about a dent or scratch, but just in case....???

tcm glx said:
Are there bypass roads.....I am not worried about a dent or scratch, but just in case....???
Yes, you can bypass john bull, but we just had a guy go through it with a similar setup to yours (if not a little less of a lift) and he did fine. He did take a strap in 1 spot but he made it through just fine. All in all there is only one really "interesting" spot and if we're going to run it in opposite direction this time, it'll be easier for you as it will end up being downhill.

Cool, then i think I will probably be in if you guys do not mind having a complete rookie there.....also, what should i bring other than hooks and tow strap??? Also, what time will we start and end?

tcm glx said:

31" BFG A/T KO

Do you have rock rails? My XJ has about 2.5"-3" of lift and I'm definately glad I had rock rails. Even with the rails I ended up with some scratches along the rocker panel.

karstic said:
Do you have rock rails? My XJ has about 2.5"-3" of lift and I'm definately glad I had rock rails. Even with the rails I ended up with some scratches along the rocker panel.

Rock rails are very good item to have but Tim did John Bull twice before without any so it is possible to do it without but it's easier to get damage.

tcm glx said:
Cool, then i think I will probably be in if you guys do not mind having a complete rookie there.....also, what should i bring other than hooks and tow strap??? Also, what time will we start and end?

It's good to bring a fire extinguisher, a highlift jack if you have it and well some food if we get stranded overnight (just kidding). Most importantly just come out to have fun and well... be at the discovery center before 9am (this time I will try to be there early) and we will finish when we will finish (last time we started late cause we waited for everyone including myself and made couple detours and got off at about 5 or 6 off the trail)

Hey guys,
i ran Jon bull and gold mountain 2 weeks ago, and i gotta say if i didnt have my sliders i wouldnt have even attempted the trail. I only have a BB so basically no real lift and im running 30" MTR's,with only a LSD in the rear and if it werent for my sliders i wouldnt have finished it, i cant tell how many times i smashed them hard and slid my way through. I would highly recommend sliders and full armor. My oil pan is completely inverted, the only place i didnt have a skid.
As for bypasses on Jon bull, i didnt see any... there less rockier lines you can take that are still challenging but, there definetly not fire roads where you can just drive around. I can post pics if anyone would like to see what kind of trail you'd be running.we started Jon bull at 12:30 and got off at about 5.

Mike

ruggedjeep said:
As for bypasses on Jon bull, i didnt see any... there less rockier lines you can take that are still challenging but, there definetly not fire roads where you can just drive around. I can post pics if anyone would like to see what kind of trail you'd be running.we started Jon bull at 12:30 and got off at about 5.

Mike
You bypass a whole big section.

Ok , so a few more questions, meeting is at 845 at the discovery center right, where exactly is that??

Also, Rumor is John Bull in reverse and one other trail, which other, and which of the two is more dificult.

And last but not least, can you run one and then leave if it is getting late or once you are on, you r are on all day.......thanks and sorry for all the rookie questions...

tcm glx said:
Ok , so a few more questions, meeting is at 845 at the discovery center right, where exactly is that??

Also, Rumor is John Bull in reverse and one other trail, which other, and which of the two is more dificult.

And last but not least, can you run one and then leave if it is getting late or once you are on, you r are on all day.......thanks and sorry for all the rookie questions...

Discovery center: http://www.bigbeardiscoverycenter.com/pages/vicinity.html
And yes you can run first trail and not second. As to which one is harder? well each one has it's spots..... oh and the other one is Holocomb Creek

Back