• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Putting in a horn

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '90 4.0 xj with a tilt colum. Whenever the horn is plugged in, and the car is turned on, the horn sounds. So it's just unplugged. It happened right after my key cylinder was replaced.

Rather than digging around in there, wouldn't it be easiest to just get a new (better) horn, wire it up to a relay, and control it with one of those press button switches?

What do you guys think? What kind of horn should I look at?

The most likely cause of this is that the horn grounding plate (under the horn button) was re-installed upside-down applying a ground to your horn relay, energising the horn, since it happened right after work on your column. Disco the battery, pull your horn button, remove the three insulated screws holding the grounding plate, and reverse it so the concave side faces UP. Reassemble, plug your horn wiring back in, connect the battery, and it should work.

Don

comanche91 said:
The most likely cause of this is that the horn grounding plate (under the horn button) was re-installed upside-down applying a ground to your horn relay, energising the horn, since it happened right after work on your column. Disco the battery, pull your horn button, remove the three insulated screws holding the grounding plate, and reverse it so the concave side faces UP. Reassemble, plug your horn wiring back in, connect the battery, and it should work.

Don

Couldn't have said it better. I did the exact same thing.

Negative, just the horn button or cap. Be careful when you pull the three insulated screws and grounding plate; the spring-loaded grounding rod under the plate could come flying out. Also make sure the insulating collar is installed on this rod. A little dielectric grease applied sparingly on the rod and the plate in contact areas helps too. Don

Back